Comfortghan for my grandmother, the one who taught me to crochet

Crochet Garden

Well, the other night I was on the phone with my grandmother. I talk to her often- she by the way is the one who taught me to crochet at 9 years of age. She is a most wise, warm wonderful soul one could ever know. Here are a couple photos of her-

Dorothy: A woman of strength, bravery and compassion for others.

granny1.jpggranny2.jpg

While on the phone with her, she asked me if I had any questions for her. I said no, why and she said she is "cleaning house." And I asked her what is going on and then she asked me another question. "What would you do if you had a condition, would you confront your doctor?" And I said why would you need to confront your doctor if you already know you have the condition. And she said "to find out how long you have." Finally, I got it out of her that she has Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia. It is a super rare form of cancer. Over the past few years, her eye sight has been deteriorating, so much that now she can no longer crochet, but only knit by feel. She can see, but it is very difficult and she cannot see anything small, and she has to turn her head. She can no longer do what she truly loves, crafts- beading, crocheting, sewing, etc. This cancer over time attacks 1 system after another.

What is worse, is that she has not told anyone except her 3 children (one of them my father), and she was diagnosed 5 years ago. The 3 are not the easiest to talk to... and finally she poured out her soul to me. I cannot begin to imagine how much she has been carrying around with her for the past 5 years. From what I could gather, it seems prognosis is maybe about 7-9 years after diagnosis.

I could very easily make an afghan for her, but I thought since crocheting was basically her entire life, that having something made from many crocheters with love would mean a lot to her. That these are people who admire my deisgn work, and that it is all attributed to her - A way to thank her- that if it wasn't for her, I would not be where I am at today, designing beautiful patterns, with so many people loving my work, that began with her, a summer day on the couch, at 9 years old, making that first baby blanket of sc, that she still have to this day. Then she could see, so many people who have been touched through crochet, and how many people she has touched through me, by being so patient and teaching me this beautiful art.

Revised:

Material: Acrylic

Colors: Any variations/combinations of solids/ombres etc: lavender, white, purple, blue (pale blue to dark blue)- I think all the contrast would be beautiful and help her see it better.

Size: 12"

I have never done this before, so am very open to suggestions. I will be giving it to her in person, and of course will get many photos!!

Thank you so much :)

EDIT: ok, i talked to her and hah I was wrong.. it is lavender she is passionate for..

Thank you Sonia... I am so happy you were touched... I don't think she realizes, how much of an impact her teaching me has had, and she is such a strong woman, carrying around this secret for so long. But that is her, wanting to spare anyone anyone sadness. And that is always what she has been, sacrificing herself for others...

Dear Lisa,

I'm so touched by your post! Your precious, dear, grandmother! What a burden to hold that in for so long!! I'm so glad she told you!

Please put me down for 2 squares! I just adore your patterns and would love to show your grandmother how loved and appreciated she is.

Hugs to both of you! :hug

Lisa do you need any more comfortghan squares? I can do one or two. I'm so sorry about your grandmother. :cry I am closer to my grandmother than I am my own father, I couldn't even imagine....

:hug

Tina

Yes, I most definitely need many more squares. Thank you so much!!

And yes, my grandmother and I are very close.. I owe her so much, more than I think she will ever realize...

Lisa do you need any more comfortghan squares? I can do one or two. I'm so sorry about your grandmother. :cry I am closer to my grandmother than I am my own father, I couldn't even imagine....

:hug

Tina

Lisa, I don't know how I missed this...do you have enough squares?

Not yet... but I am expecting this will take some time.. it being the holiday season and all.. and I am in no rush. I won't be seein gher until xmas time anyway... so if you would like to send, please do! And take your time :)

I would love to help with your afghan. I am new to Crochetville, and you would need to let me know more specifics. Are there special square patterns that you want us to use? If you read my new member intro you will see that my grandmother was my special introduction into the world of making beautiful things, too, as well as learning to believe in myself and my own special beauty! It would be an honor to help you honor your grandmother!

Two squares went out to you on Friday, Lisa. I had them done when I said...it's the sending that got delayed! Sorry about that. The package was too big to fit in the outgoing mailbox and I kept missing the mailman. I was finally able to get to the PO on Friday. I look forward to hearing all about your Grandmother receiving her ghan and pics would be nice too! (hint, hint!) :D

Lisa, I just saw this post and am so touched. Please let me know if you need any more squares. I can probably have them out by the beginning of next week.. You and your grandmother are in my prayers.

Hugs

Misty

mom4x

Archived