New and Improved Christmas Gift Process

In the past when I've made gifts for people, I just pick out whatever yarn I think will match their decor or their winter coats and pick out a pattern and make the afghan or the scarf/hat or whatever. But this year, I got to the point where I've given everyone scarves, and I can't afford to make everyone afghans, so I didn't know what to make people.

Then I found the comfort packs from CrochetMe and I decided I would just make those for everyone on my list, and I bought a bunch of lion cotton and I've made a couple. My problem is that I need to machine sew the inner pouch for the flax seeds, and I don't have one and don't know anyone with one, and we can't afford one right now.

So, I decided to send out a mass email to everyone on my list asking what they would like for a crocheted gift this year---maybe some of them needed/wanted new scarves, or a shawl, or a felted purse or whatever. So, I gave some expamples and told them to email me back with what they wanted and their color preferences. I also told them if they didn't want anything crocheted, that would be okay, too, just to let me know.

So, now I have a list of what people want and I'm going down my list checking things off. I feel better about it this year because I know that they should be getting what they want.

Has anyone else tried this? I find it much less nervewracking than just making things and sending them out.

Nicole

Hm.. I think that's a great idea!

I sort of did that this year, but what I did was ask each of the nieces that I'm making a purse for to tell me their favorite color, and that's how I'm making the purses.

Are you in need of someone with a sewing machine to sew some pieces together for you?

Well, if I was going through with the comfort packs, I would be. I thought maybe we would be able to afford a sewing machine, but it isn't looking that way, so I decided to just make other gifts instead. I can always make the comfort packs for next year.

Nicole

<<snip>>

Then I found the comfort packs from CrochetMe and I decided I would just make those for everyone on my list' date=' and I bought a bunch of lion cotton and I've made a couple. My problem is that I need to machine sew the inner pouch for the flax seeds, and I don't have one and don't know anyone with one, and we can't afford one right now.

Nicole[/quote']

Ok, Nicole, machine sewing would be faster, but if you'd like to give them the comfort packs still, I do have a suggestion. Well, ok, two suggestions.

One is hand sewing, not AS fast but still good.

The 2nd is a way to speed up the hand sewing. I have NOT looked at the pattern so not sure exactly WHAT all it calls for, however, one suggestion for the inside may be to use pillowcases. Depending on the size needed (read 2nd sentence again here, ;) ) you may could get 1 or 2 of the insides out of one AND, if they can work, at least 2 sides would already be sewn for you. That would leave you only needing to sew up at minimum 1 sides, maximum 2 sides.

Just an idea to maybe help out. Hope it works out for you.

Sandy

Nicole-

I love your idea about asking what people want and giving them examples. I haven't done that before, but I am going to try that for next year!

On a side note when you are ready to look at a sewing machine, you might want to consider checking out your local thrift stores (or pawn shop) or a local vacuum & sewing machine repair shop. I bought both of my machines at these places. I paid $15 for one (it is my heavy duty workhorse that will take on any fabric) and $70 for a classic all metal singer from the 1960's. I love them both and they are very sturdy/reliable machines. The repair shop even threw in 1 year maintence for free.

Also- if you wanted to make the comfort packs after all- you could modify the pattern to make a rectangle, and then use a sock for the filling and stitch it shut- so you'd only have a small bit to handstitch~

Thanks again for the gift tip!

redhead, one question on the fabric tack, how do you think it would hold up w/ being heated and re-heated like it would for the comfort pack? just curious since some glues tend to lose there "grip" when heated.

Sandy

I don't know about anyone else here, but I'd be willing to zip some of those little fabric packs together up on my sewing machine and serger for you if you had the material prepped and ready to go.

Oh, that is so sweet of you! :hug I really appreciate the very kind gesture, but I decided just to wait on the comfort packs until I get my own machine. You are a sweetheart---thanks for the offer.

Nicole

Nicole-

I love your idea about asking what people want and giving them examples. I haven't done that before, but I am going to try that for next year!

On a side note when you are ready to look at a sewing machine, you might want to consider checking out your local thrift stores (or pawn shop) or a local vacuum & sewing machine repair shop. I bought both of my machines at these places. I paid $15 for one (it is my heavy duty workhorse that will take on any fabric) and $70 for a classic all metal singer from the 1960's. I love them both and they are very sturdy/reliable machines. The repair shop even threw in 1 year maintence for free.

Also- if you wanted to make the comfort packs after all- you could modify the pattern to make a rectangle, and then use a sock for the filling and stitch it shut- so you'd only have a small bit to handstitch~

Thanks again for the gift tip!

Thanks for the idea about thrift shops---we don't really have any, but we do have a goodwill and a vacuum repair shop, so I will check them out!

Thanks!

Nicole

Archived