Crocheted Christmas Gifts

For the past couple years, I have made crocheted Christmas gifts for friends and family members---scarves, hats, afghans, etc. But, I always feel like if I give someone a crocheted gift, then I also have to give them a storebought gift.

I think I do this for two reasons--1) I do it as a fall back gift in case they don't like what I've made them. 2) For some reason, I feel like my crocheted gifts aren't worth enough.

I know that this is a really strange thing for a crocheter to think and feel--I mean I spend lots of time on these gifts, so I know that with the cost of yarn and the time I spent on the gifts make them worth a lot.

Does anyone else feel like this? Does anyone else give "double" gifts to "make up" for the crocheted ones?

Nicole

I was actually thinking about this last night. This will be the first year that I'm giving out crocheted gifts since I just got back into the craft early this Spring. Right now I'm only planning on giving crocheted gifts to my parents, my brother and my sister. But I was thinking that I should get them each a gift certificate to somewhere as well because the afghans that I'm making them wouldn't be enough.

Still not sure if I'm going to do that or not, or if they're just going to get the afghans. I think that the crocheted gift should be enough, especially since I'm making them each a full-size afghan so it is taking a lot of my time and wasn't too cheap on the yarn either. But I also kind of want them to have something else that they can enjoy. Thankfully, there is still some time left before Christmas for me to figure this out. :think

I think it depends on the size of the gift.

If I give someone an afghan, sweater, shawl, etc., that's their gift. Period.

But then, I have never given a crocheted gift that (to my knowlege) the receiver didn't absolutely love.

If I give a scarf, then I usually give something else as well.

For instance, I make the scarves that have the pockets at the ends... so I always place a lip balm, a cute pair of earrings, candy, etc., in the pockets for the recipient to find, based on who I'm giving it to.

I love the scarf idea! I might gank that is you don't mind. I got quite a few friends that live in the northern states. LOL

I have a problem with friends and family not really likeing crocheted items. They give me that look. "Oooooh...how.....nice." LOL so useually I just get them something store bought.

I think alot of us are self-conscious about our handcrafted gifts being afraid someone else won't value them as we do. Sometimes I give something extra & then sometimes I don't if it's something large, like an afghan. I've learned to only to close people that I know will understand the value of it more.:hook

When I didn't have money all I could afford was a $2 ball of thread and make a doily out of it. Then when I could afford more, I did feel like I had to give more. But after seeing the responses from the receivers, I don't feel too bad about giving a few things crocheted and hardly anything else. I think because I didn't value my time spent on the item, $2 for a gift seemed cheap, but the 14 hours to crochet the doily (or how ever long) would more then make up for any other gift! I'm getting better at valueing my crochet (especially since I see it on the internet, even if it doesn't sell). That has helped.

Debbi

Unicorn37757, Like you, I only crochet for people who will really appreciate it. Anything handmade takes time and effort as well as the money for the materials, and should go where it will be valued.

I also only crochet for people in my family who will want/enjoy it. But there are times that I do give something else to go with it. It depends on the crochet item and who it's going to.

I finally got to the point that I give what I can and to the best of my ability. If someone doesn't like it, then tough on them. Christmas isn't about getting....anyway.

The best part of the season for me is that I make crochet items for the workers at my son's school. I even remember the secretaries, the PE teacher, Music teacher, librarian and others that people forget. They are very grateful for me remembering them.

I'm glad to read that I am not the only one who struggles with this.

I have a friend who values monetary things over my homemade stuff, and she was one of the main reasons I wrote the email. I wanted to give her an "out" to say she didn't want anything; she emailed back that she would like some dishcloths (she has 5 messy kids and 4 messy cats). Good---I never would have given her dishcloths, but now she's going to get them and hopefully enjoy using them.

I have another friend who requested a hat, scarf, and mitten set (an Etaria cabled set), and I am considering using some expensive (to me) yarn, and I'm having a hard time deciding if I should give her anything else.

Sometimes I think I don't value my own gifts enough. I know intellectually what they are worth, but I worry that most people are oblivious and wonder why I'm so "cheap."

I also make my own aromatherapy stuff, and I bake cookies, so when I send gifts to my friends who live in other parts of the country, I send some cookies and I send my aromatherapy stuff and I send my crocheted stuff, and I'll send a book or a gift certificate or something.

Ugh. Christmas can be so stressful sometimes!! But, at least I'm in good company with you good people.

Nicole

Maybe we need to include a price tag as if we were going to sell it... opps I forgot that was on there... :blush

LOL.

I've received a few store bought ones like that...

Of course, like Wanda, I have 2 aunts that would probably feel insulted if I gave them a store bought dishcloth or my one aunt who loves my crochet slipps that keep her feet so warm (they're worked with 2 strands of yarn).

Debbi

I actually taught myself to crochet after an October vacation last year with my sisters...My Sister Shayne said "We are all crafty, we should MAKE each other x-mas gifts this year"...well I've done a few crafts, but I used this statement as an opportunity to learn to do something diffferent.

Anyway...My family was very pleased to receive crocheted items and being crafty in their own ways...they appreciate the work that goes into it. Most of the people in my world that I give gifts to are so close to me that they know the value of a handmade gift. On the other hand...I have never given my father a crocheted gift, because I haven't come up with an item that I think would be useful to him and only him. DH hasn't received a crocheted gift from me either...but thats because I haven't figured out how to create one for him without him knowing that what I'm working on is for him.

Never undervalue your work...I create and give gifts that fit the recipient...just like a storebought item...you buy the fit for the recipient.

The irony is...my sister that suggested the handmade gifts has two young kids and only made a simple sachet for each of us. She felt bad because we all made lovely handmade items at HER suggestion. I think I'm going to ask her for another sachet...mine has lost its scent over the course of the year. Almost a year later I hope that will make her feel better.

xoxoxo

I only crochet for people who really appreciate it, as well. I usually make a theme out of it, too...like last year, I made for my mother a bath set, with mitt, soap holder, and mesh bag, then added yummy-smelling soaps and lotion. She loved it. This year I am going to make a fat-bottom bag in her favorite colors, then put lip balm, travel-size lotion, etc, in there. She's the one person who always truly appreciates what I make.

I may also make some slippers for my hubby and father...I'm making a pair right now for a swap and hubby keeps hinting that he likes them. :D But since those are smaller items they will also get something store-bought as well.

I've never given afghans or sweaters or anything super time-consuming as a gift, so I really don't know if I'd give something store-bought with it.

I share this affliction as well. I feel like if I am only giving a crocheted item, than I appear "cheap" and should get them something store-bought as well. In the past, I have received reactions from genuine appreciation and love of the gift to the hesitant "uh...um...thank you" reaction.

I think I am going to take the advice to email my list this year. We draw names in our family now that there are so many of us...I guess I will see who REALLY likes my crocheted items and who has just been tolerating them in the past. :lol

Oh I love doing gifts with themes to. I like doing the gift in the jar thing (like cookies or something) & then making things for the kitchen, or the bath is really great too cause I know my family loves the different scented soaps & then some scrubbies & such.:hook

I only crochet for people who really appreciate it, as well. I usually make a theme out of it, too...like last year, I made for my mother a bath set, with mitt, soap holder, and mesh bag, then added yummy-smelling soaps and lotion. She loved it. This year I am going to make a fat-bottom bag in her favorite colors, then put lip balm, travel-size lotion, etc, in there. She's the one person who always truly appreciates what I make.

I may also make some slippers for my hubby and father...I'm making a pair right now for a swap and hubby keeps hinting that he likes them. :D But since those are smaller items they will also get something store-bought as well.

I've never given afghans or sweaters or anything super time-consuming as a gift, so I really don't know if I'd give something store-bought with it.

I have done the same thing Nicole. In the past when I've crocheted something, I've always felt like I should include a storebought gift as well because I haven't felt like the item I've made is good enough, and partly because I wasn't sure how the person being gifted the item would feel about a hand-made gift.

I got burned by a "good friend" who said that a very plain white cardigan I made for her baby boy was 'too girly' (I started a thread months ago about people's bad reactions to gifts) but then a couple months ago that same friend begged me to make her a fat-bottom bag after she saw the one I made myself. You just never know what someone is going to think, and so now I ask people beforehand what they want, would they like a handmade afghan, scarf, etc. and the people that say they like that sort of thing get something wonderful made by me and the people that are not into that get something from the store. Yes, it kind of ruins the surprise a bit, but this way you don't get your feelings hurt, feel you have to buy something to 'make up' for the fact that it's 'only' handmade, or feel bad knowing that the item you spent your skill, time and love on will just sit unused in someone's closet.

I have done the same thing Nicole. In the past when I've crocheted something, I've always felt like I should include a storebought gift as well because I haven't felt like the item I've made is good enough, and partly because I wasn't sure how the person being gifted the item would feel about a hand-made gift.

I got burned by a "good friend" who said that a very plain white cardigan I made for her baby boy was 'too girly' (I started a thread months ago about people's bad reactions to gifts) but then a couple months ago that same friend begged me to make her a fat-bottom bag after she saw the one I made myself. You just never know what someone is going to think, and so now I ask people beforehand what they want, would they like a handmade afghan, scarf, etc. and the people that say they like that sort of thing get something wonderful made by me and the people that are not into that get something from the store. Yes, it kind of ruins the surprise a bit, but this way you don't get your feelings hurt, feel you have to buy something to 'make up' for the fact that it's 'only' handmade, or feel bad knowing that the item you spent your skill, time and love on will just sit unused in someone's closet.

I used to like to "surprise" people, too, but I've decided i would rather make sure I give people something they want and will use.

The potential downside of this is that people tell me what they want and what color, and I make it, and it isn't quite what they pictured . . . I guess we'll see how it goes, but I do feel more confident about my gift giving this year. i think most people really appreciate my gifts, but I feel better having given those who don't a way out.

Thanks everyone,

Nicole

Hmmmm - I have always given hand made items for gifts. Somehow I feel that just giving a store bought gift is cheating. I generally also give a few stocking stuffer type toys to children, because what child just wants clothes? Once I tried to buy a shower gift off the MTB's registery, I did that, but was up all night the night before the shower making a blanket too - just didn't feel right.

For the past couple years' date=' I have made crocheted Christmas gifts for friends and family members---scarves, hats, afghans, etc. But, I always feel like if I give someone a crocheted gift, then I also have to give them a storebought gift.

I think I do this for two reasons--1) I do it as a fall back gift in case they don't like what I've made them. 2) For some reason, I feel like my crocheted gifts aren't worth enough.

I know that this is a really strange thing for a crocheter to think and feel--I mean I spend lots of time on these gifts, so I know that with the cost of yarn and the time I spent on the gifts make them worth a lot.

Does anyone else feel like this? Does anyone else give "double" gifts to "make up" for the crocheted ones?

Nicole[/quote']

I do indeed. For instance this years christmas is a whopper of a tight one, so what gifts I am able to give will be crocheted. I like sharing what I am able to make to those who like what I make, lol. Did that make sence. A few people need more tea towels so I've made up some of those for them. I'm also making ornaments, but not the crocheted kind this year. I had bought alot of clear glass ornament and I'm having myself and my kids make gifts with those with glitter and beads. I think the people I give crafty presents to, like the fact that it is hand made, but like you as well I too feel it is not enough. Maybe it's because alot of gifts are purchased. Don't really know.

I think a lot of the problem is that Christmas has gotten a lot "dollar-value-centric." IE: If you love me, you'll spend x amount on me. The problem with self-made hand-made items is that unless you regularly sell them and have a "value" attached to them, most folks seem to think they are worth nothing but the cost of yarn. And many have no idea what the yarn is worth, even if you use high-end yarn.

One year, maybe 10 years ago and I still in high school, I was so broke and poor, that I joined a music CD club, so that I could get a CD or two for each of my family members. My brother called me cheap because they were 'free' even though you know you have to buy more CDs to get the 'free' ones.

I understand this. I have given handmade stuff every year. Well my brother was at my house last week and I asked him want he wanted me to make him. He said nothing then told me he has regifted things in the past I have made him. I was so mad that I told him he isn't getting anything this year.

Its the time you put into it. I spend alot of money every year on Christmas. Both in handmade and regular presents. Even when I could afford it I came up with it and to have him say that really hurt.

Do what you feel is best for you. I have done it both ways.

Crochet articles have become quite popular in teenagers again this year you will see alot of tv shows where they wear fancy crochet hats and some sort of crochet item I think its becoming popular because so many of us are younger !!! while it still is a granny craft we younger group modernised the art and brought it back! there for I see no shame in giving just a crochet item to a family member as a christmas gift my family knows i can't aford much other then yarn! and they know i have a tallent and they wont be disapointed!! :)

Archived