Newborn Boy Burial Outfit

craftyrat

Does it have to be for burial? Isn't it just a newborn boy outfit? Saying that it's specifically for burial as if it's a shroud seems weird.

It's definitely terribly cute though!

Does it have to be for burial? Isn't it just a newborn boy outfit? Saying that it's specifically for burial as if it's a shroud seems weird.

I know it might seem a little morose, Ixa, but there really is a huge need, believe it or not! A few years ago a friend worked for a funeral home in the UK and they had a tremendous need for something to put on the littlest of babies for funerals and burials. In many cases doll clothes wouldn't even fit - and many of these families were unable to go out and shop for something for the baby - obviously! So a group of crafters got together to make tiny clothes - I made a few little burial dresses- and they were such a blessing to the parents.

I'm so blessed to have three healthy children, I know it's hard to imagine how traumatic it must be for those parents. Having a tiny, handmade outfit is - perhaps it's surprising to you - a real blessing. There are tiny hats and booties, too, and usually a blanket which the child is wrapped in and then the mother gets to keep the blanket. So sad!

It's definitely terribly cute though!

Hi Ixa.. It was designed specifically for burial. Its open all the way down the back so its easier to dress the baby.. since they are so very fragile after death. I think Mrs Who explained the rest beautifully. Thank you Mrs Who! And thank you Ixa for thinking the outfit cute.. I appreciate that!

I had to take a look since I've never haerd of anything like this before and just looking at the outfits I can'y imagine having to bury one of my children. But if anyone had to I think your outfits are the best thing to have them be put in. They are very cute.

I know it might seem a little morose, Ixa, but there really is a huge need, believe it or not! A few years ago a friend worked for a funeral home in the UK and they had a tremendous need for something to put on the littlest of babies for funerals and burials. In many cases doll clothes wouldn't even fit - and many of these families were unable to go out and shop for something for the baby - obviously! So a group of crafters got together to make tiny clothes - I made a few little burial dresses- and they were such a blessing to the parents.

I'm so blessed to have three healthy children, I know it's hard to imagine how traumatic it must be for those parents. Having a tiny, handmade outfit is - perhaps it's surprising to you - a real blessing. There are tiny hats and booties, too, and usually a blanket which the child is wrapped in and then the mother gets to keep the blanket. So sad!

That's interesting. I had no idea!

• 2 weeks later...

17 years ago my dh and I had a stillborn baby girl. The hospital was so good and honerable about it. Some kind soul had hand swen her a tiny dress ( she was born at 7 months) and she was wrapped in the tinest crocheted blanket...the blanket is in my hope chest at the bottom of my bed with her birth and death announcment...this is a wonderful thing to do and I can tell you first hand they are apprecaited

Very nice. I will be making some for Care Wear. I recieved their newsletter and how someone had made a beautiful baby burial outfit and gave it to the hospital. The outfit was used for burying a preterm infant that had died and the parents were grievestricken but grateful that they had a beautiful outfit to bury their baby in. The story really touched my heart and I plan on making burial outfits because of the importance of the issue.

Thank you for sharing your patterns with us.

:manyheart

Speaking from personal experience, it's a great thing to have. When I went through it, my family had to comb the town, because no one actually had preemie clothes on the rack. You don't have time to wait for someone to whip something together, so I wound up having to use a terrycloth blanket from a department store in town, because there wasn't anything else to be had.

It's a wonderful idea.

That is just beautiful. I am not really ready to crochet something like that but I think I would love to make some small blankets to donate. I will check out the charity area, but offhand does anyone have a nice place to donate these? Would any hospital take them?

• 11 years later...

Unfortunately geocities site no longer exists (hasn't for several years if I remember correctly).  I did some quick googling for 'crafty rat', found a few things but not sure if she is still active?  Try following that lead, I didn't dig too deep.

edit - found another one (free) http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/janet-wolfe/1newboysburial.html

My patterns are still available through this link:
http://inkyrat.typepad.com/

Thanks everyone so much for asking! Take care Myra

2 hours ago, Mandyrae said:

I see this post is pretty old but Im trying anyway......I crochet burial clothes, blankets and keepsakes for several places and am looking for boy patterns. I clicked the link here and it doesn't work. Is there any way to get this pattern?

• 2 months later...

Reefefered, take a look at Craftyrat's post that's 3 posts up -- dated Dec 12 2017.  She has moved her patterns to another site since Geocities is long gone, and it was one of her patterns that was the subject of the original post. Her new site links seem to be active.

Archived