Do you prefer to crochet from a pattern or diagram?

squirrel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use written patterns only. I have no idea how to read the diagrams, I have tried but I just dont get it. I have done stamped cross stitch and can read them just fine but for some reason the crochet ones make me :shrug

I like both. For doilies I really like diagrams, probably from Magic Crochet and Decrative Crochet magazines (now out of print) that I used for years. But I like diagrams of stitches because once I have the stitch down pretty good, I can follow along with the diagram if I need to reference it and not try to search or reread the written ones.

Crochet Today has both (just a reduced sample of the diagram, but helps). Crochet Fantasy near the end of the publication started having both and I liked that too.

Debbi

• 3 months later...

That's the topic I was thinking quite a lot of :D I definitely love charted patterns. I think they are more "international" - in Poland we have quite a lot of wonderful magazines with diagrams and it's very easy to read them even if you don't know our language. Sometimes I wonder if to send some RAOK as there are many patterns wishes on wish list, but as I don't know if the person likes diagrams...... ;)

• 1 month later...

I much prefer written patterns. I have not learnt to understand the diagrams yet. If there is something on a written pattern that I don't understand or a stitch I haven't done yet I will just you tube it lol.

• 8 months later...

I prefer diagrams, but even in those, it helps if there's some written instructions. I found this out trying to make things from Japanese crochet books. The things I make generally work out, but I have to improvise at times.

• 3 weeks later...
i prefer written because i am SO not used to diagrams :s... i can crochet diagrams for doilies but as for amigurumi (*japanese) i totally CAN"T read the diagrams...

Good point. I was going to say diagrams, but you're right they are better for flat work, and could get tricky for something 3-dimensional. I guess I'd have to say both.

• 2 months later...
  • Donna changed the title to Do you prefer to crochet from a pattern or diagram?

Archived