Need comfortghans for my BIL & his kids...

jessc031778

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cbear...thank you so much, I'll keep my eyes out for it!!

At this point, I've got 74 squares in my hall closet. It's getting to the point that I can't get the door to close & latch without leaning ALL my weight on the door and forcing it :c9 I'm going to be going through them all today and sorting the squares into the beginnings of the 4 afghans. I'm still working on squares, and won't actually join any of them until I've got all 120 squares in my hot little hands, but if I can get them sorted somehow, I can put them into seperate project bags and then maybe we can open the closet door without fear of what will attack us LOL....

I hope you all know just how much I appreciate all your help and your kindness. It's been a month now, and it's not getting any easier. I know these afghans will bring some smiles into their worlds....

Jessie

cbear...I got your squares today!! Did you send them by warp drive or something???:lol They're beautiful..and that one you were concerned about..I've done that pattern before...it'll straighten out when I join it with the others no problem. Thank you so much!!

I sorted all the squares I have and have set up 2 full afghans of 30 squares each, one with alot of blues (for my neice) and one with camo & greens (for my BIL). The other two are piling up well too...looks like my SIL's is going to be a variety of colors, some green, some blue, some multi & camo..these squares look SO good together it's hard to believe that they were made by so many people independent of each other!! And the one for my nephew is (at this point) mostly neutral tones, which works perfectly for him & his growing masculinity ;)...I need 38 more squares and then I'll be able to join them all. These blankets are going to be so nice...once I have them joined, I'll post pics of them here so you all can see what you helped me make for them!!

Jessie

I'm glad the squares got there so quickly! I'm glad you like them and can use them all, I was a little bit worreid about that one square. Can't wait to see pictures!:)

Jessie ...

I have one more square to make .. and then I'll be sending them out to you ... hopefully by Monday at the latest ... I hope everyone is doing well, and that you are taking it easy.

Hi everyone! I just got an update on my SIL and wanted to share it with all of you who have taken the time and care to help me with the comfortghan project.

Last night, my SIL told my BIL that she's tired of fighting, that she wants him to let her go, and that she wants to be taken off the machines. Without the breather, she'll die, and she knows it. My BIL had a major breakdown last night (understandably), but was planning on calling her docs today so that they know what she's thinking about and can start whatever protocalls they have to determine if they're bound to uphold her decision or not. So, now we're going to have to wait to see what the docs decide to see if they'll be constrained to remove her from the machines or not.

Jessie

Jessie,

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I will light a candle and ask that the right decision be made for your SIL. We are all here for you, when and if you need us!:ghug I'll be putting my squares in the mail for you tomorrow.

I'm heartbroken over this. You, your SIL and BIL will certainly be in my prayers. If there is any chance of hope, I'd take it and leave the rest in God's hands. I remember my dad wanted us to let him go, when he lost his leg because of an infection when he was going through heart surgery, but I told him that his family and especially me....needed him and that I didn't think it was his time....not yet. I don't know what happened, but by some little miracle, my dad fought and survived. Maybe your SIL needs more recovery time. Of course I don't know all of the details in your SIL's case, but I couldn't let her go unless all possibility of survival have failed. My heart goes out to all of you and I will be praying for that special miracle...if it be His will.

Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and prayers!!

The docs have ordered a psych evaluation on my SIL, which will probably happen today. After that, the docs will decide if she's mentally capable of making a major medical decision like this. And if they decide she is, they will uphold her choice to be removed from the machines. At this point, everyone is just trying to point out every little positive thing they can, in the hopes that it will cheer her up enough to want to stick with it a bit longer.

My original thought with these comfortghans was to get all 4 made and then give them to my SIL, BIL and their kids. However, with this recent turn of events, I've decided that I'm putting my SIL's blanket together and sending it home with my MIL (she's coming here for Turkey Day) so that my SIL will have it as soon as possible. Maybe seeing tangible proof that there are folks out there pulling for her will help cheer her up some. Once I get hers done, then I will get the other 3 done and give them together.

All of your good wishes, thoughts and prayers are so very appreciated my friends. I can't tell you how much it has helped me just to know that you are here for me when I need a shoulder...Thank you so very much!!

Jessie

My thoughts and prayers are really out to you and your family, I called my local Convent and had them also pray, hey it cant hurt to have 500 Nun's praying also. I am HAPPY to hear they are ordering a phsych eval, only because alot of times people in these postions can't think right due to the medications they are on. BUT if it is truely her wish we must respect that. Being the survivor of uterine cancer and breast cancer, I always swore I WOULD NEVER GO THROUGH THE TREATENTS AGAIN. That is a VERY personal choice and one that needs respect. God bless her, and her family, and you for all you are doing.:hug

Is there any way that we could all join in prayer together for this?

Maybe if we pray together the family will have the strength to endure this very sad situation. I'll even start:

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread..................

Thank you, all of you, for all your prayers and thoughts and energies sent our way. Please know that they have helped my family members in this horrid situation. We are absolutely going to support my SIL's decision, but the docs have to cover their own tushes, legally speaking, before anything else. I have no clue how long their policies will take to go through, but if they decide she's capable of making this decision, it will be as if she had a living will in place and they'll take her off the machines.

And they are Catholic, so that prayer is completely appropriate for them. Please feel free to pray for her in whatever manner you're comfortable with. As I am Pagan, I will continue to offer my prayers to the Lord & Lady throught the day as I have since this all began.

Today I sorted out 30 of the wonderful squares that y'all have helped me gather, and have joined them all going one way. Now I just have to do the cross-seams and a boarder and her comfortghan will be finished. I have no doubt that I will have it completed and ready for my MIL to bring to her when she leaves here Friday morning. I tried to get all different colors and designs in her comfortghan so that she will be able to see, just by looking at it, how much effort and caring has gone into the creation of it. I will post a pic once I have it finished.

Thank you all so much!

Jessie

THY will be done.

The hardest prayer, but it never fails.

I've prayed it many times since my sons brain injury, and continue it.

And...just my two cents, but: all prayer sincerely offered, no matter what form it takes is GOOD. I don't care if you light candles, bow down, stand up, say it silently or shout to the rooftops it will help sustain you and your family Jessie.

I understand the doctors having to make certain all butts are covered. They also have to find out WHY your SIL feels this is her only option. If it is physical pain, then can address that more agressively; if it is an overall quality of life issue, all they can do is tell her truthfully what she faces in the future and let her make her own free will decision. I certainly agree on not wanting to be machine-dependent and have made sure my family knows that, but I do need to update my living will to make sure there is a clear documentation of my wishes.

Kathy..I completely agree with you about the prayers...any prayer offered up can only be a good thing, regardless of how it's phrased and what Diety is it made to.

The docs have already told her that she'll be dependant upon the machines in order to live forever. She had always said she would never want to live this way, so we were all surprised a couple of weeks ago when she said she wanted to stay on them. Now, though, she's tired of fighting and she doesn't want to linger this way. She's down to skin & bones, her muscles are starting to atrophy, and she isn't capable of even shrugging her shoulders...I get why she made this choice, now we just have to see if the docs will accept her decision and uphold it or not. It's the not knowing that is hurting her kids and husband the most, I think. Anyway, once the final decision is made, I'll update here.

I have put my SIL's comfortghan together completely and was planning on sending it home with my MIL today, but she was too sick yesterday to come for Thanksgiving, so I will be bringing it to my SIL next weekend when we're down there. I will also be bringing her the cross that one of you wonderful folks made (thank you...you know who you are!!)

And Vickie...I received the squares from you today...thank you so much, they're beautiful!!!

I might be able to get the other 3 blankets done before we go to NJ next weekend, I'm going to try...but if not, then at least the most important one is finished.

Thank you all so much!!

Jessie

Hi all!! Thought I'd post an update here...

I now have all but 15 squares that I needed for all four comfortghans. And I know there is at least one package that is still on it's way to me. I want to thank you all so very much for helping me by making all the beautiful squares y'all have sent me, so that I can put together these wonderful blankets for my family. I have completed my SIL's blanket, and will be working on the other three over the next week. I hope to have them all completed before this weekend, as we're visiting friends who live near the hospital, so we will be bringing the comfortghan to my SIL then. I'd like to have all 4 finished at the same time, but if I don't, then I will get the other 3 blankets to my BIL and their kids together.

Thank you all for helping me complete this huge project. While I have made some of the squares myself, and will make the last dozen or so that I need, I truly could not have done this without all of you helping me.

I will post pics of the completed blankets once I get them all finished.

Jessie

Jessie- Just so you know what you've got coming, the package I sent (should arrive today) will have two black and two brown squares in it. Just sc rows, not fancy. I'm afraid I have yet to master the art of regular squares..so be warned.

There's also a little extra stuff in there for you (for being such a sweetie supporting your family and putting together these afghans) and/or for your family.

Phoenix....thank you so much for letting me know...I was keeping an eye out for your package, but now that I know how many squares are in there, I can adjust how many I'll make to complete the afghans. And you're so sweet to think of extras for me!! Thank you so much!! I'll let you know when I get it!!

Jessie

And mine is still on it's way to you, too. I haven't mailed it yet. I think I'll go do it right now before I go pick up the kids from school... (One of the squares was for the SIL ghan but it seems you already have that one put together...) So that's three (possibly four, if you use the purple square) squares on their way...

Tina

Archived