Need comfortghans for my BIL & his kids...

jessc031778

I've never set one of these things up before, so I hope I do this right....

Currently, my SIL is in the hospital after suffereing from a MS-related seizure and subsequent fall down 3 concrete steps onto a concrete slab. She was in a coma for 2 days, but has regained conciousness as of yesterday, against all probability. The doctors are working now to see how much she's actually aware of, how much she's understanding about what's going on around her. She's broken several bones in her back, starting with the very topmost vertebra right below her skull. All her ribs on one side are broken, she's got a punctured lung...it's just not a good situation. They've forbidden my BIL from telling her anything about her condition, which is very poor. They're saying that if she lives, she'll be in the same condition Christopher Reeves was in, quadrapalegic and on a breather for the rest of her life.

My BIL, the ex-Marine who never shows any of the softer emotions, has been crying pretty much non-stop since late Sunday night when he found her after her fall. He's told his kids how bad their mom is hurt, but their grandmother (my SIL's mom) is in complete dinial and is telling them that she's moving and that she'll be coming home soon....so the kids are getting stuck in the middle of this emotional rollercoaster. My nephew is 14, my neice is 12...and they both are old before their time, as they have been helping their mother with the day-to-day tasks of living that she just can't do for herself anymore....my neice has been the one ensuring that her mom took all her meds every day for at least the last 3 years....my nephew was so worried while at school that she was home alone and could get hurt that he was very close to being left back the last 2 years of school, he just couldn't concentrate. They've been through so much, and now they're dealing with this too....

I think it would help them to know there are people out there who are thinking of them and praying for their family. At this point, until we know for sure that my SIL will actually survive, I'd rather not have a comfortghan made for her, as it would only serve as a reminder that she's gone if she doesn't live through this.

My goal is to have 3 comfortghans made up, one for my BIL (who is 6 ft 4 in), one for my 14 yr old nephew (already 5 ft 11 in), and one for my 12 yr old neice (5 ft 5 in)....my BIL is an ex-Marine and very manly-man, so anything for his blanket should be completely masculine in color/design. Jon's favorite color is blue, and Sami's is green....and their school colors are (I'm pretty sure) purple & gold. Sami is into frogs, Jon's into sports....

I'd like to make up the blankets from 12 inch squares, preferrably acrylic yarn just for ease of putting it all together and for them to care for after they've received them. Please PM me for my snail mail addy.

Thank you everyone for reading this, and for helping me in this....I know it will help them to know that there are folks out there who are pulling for them....

Jessie

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Angelfire, I was going to ask the same question. Being a former Marine, are you considering something patriotic....like red, white and blue? or just manly colors like navy, browns, deep greens and colors like that?

I sure would like to know before I get started on the squares.

Thank you everyone!! You are all such wonderful people!!:hug

For my BIL, at least in this case, I'd aim more for the manly-man colors like browns, beige, blues, greens...as opposed to the RW&B..and camo would totally work for him....

I've answered the PM's I've received and will continue to do so.

Thank you!!!

Jessie

I am so sorry for what you and your family is going through right now, I'll be praying for your BIL, sister and their kids... :hug

I have some dark blue yarn I can use to make a square for your BIL. Would a light blue square be ok for your nephew and a dark green square ok for your niece? I can have the squares mailed out by the middle of next week, can you PM me your address?

Everyone...thank you so much for your willingness to help me with this...I know the completed comfortghans will help them so much. My SIL's condition is not looking good at this point. Apparently she had a UTI when she was hurt, and now has another infection as well. It doesn't really look like she's going to be with us much longer. We'll be seeing my BIL and the kids tomorrow.

Jessie

Archived