Disable "save as"

OneCraftySAHM

Ok, so I've been a bit paranoid lately about posting pics to my blog. However, I found this nifty little code that disables the right click "save as" feature. Now, I know there are wicked smart people out there who can probably find a way to get around it but hey! I'd like to give them a run for their money, :lol. If anyone else wants to use this feature here is the link to the code and instructions. Click Here

Yes, it really does work. It also prevents anyone from viewing or snagging your blogs source code! Go to my blog and try to right click..you can't!

Hope this helps someone.

:manyheart

6I contemplated disabling right click... but being a computer science major and reading more up on it I decided against it.

I know for myself at least, I use right click a lot, especially to open a new tab of a link. And oooh so annoying not being able to do that and having to click back button to get back.

And when it comes down to it, all one has to do is view your source code via the toolbar.

So, for me, it just seemed better to leave it as it is. Of course, it will stop those who are not somehwat computer-knowledgable, so for some it may be the best alternative..

Here is a little article that may be somewhat helpful? If not just tell me where to go... lol If anything, you now will know how easy it is to bypass the no right click code, and that is the photos you are worried about posting, really aren't that safe with this no right-click code. Those that do not know to view the source code via the toolbar will not get your photos, but many will be able to, so at least this better guides to you whether even with the right click if you really want to still post those photos.

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/dont-disable-right-click

Edit: Also to add, to get your code , one does not need any computer skills. In case I wasn't clear, using the toolbar means clicking on View then click on Source Code. (I just would be concerned if you felt you were very safe though not 100%, and you posted photos with no right click enabled only to see them elsewhere)

I personally don't like right click disabled. I use Firefox as my browser, and use the mouse gestures, which allows you to execute commands via right click, which I use constantly. Also, I'm a big "right click to open in new tab" user. Disabling right clicks doesn't really do much to thwart most users, as they can just view the source code and open the picture directly (I've done it). My $.02

Etaria,

I appreciate all your input! Really. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to this stuff. Could you explain to me the "view source via the toolbar" thing though because this code disabled that to...is there another way to get to the source code?

Sure my dear :) Edited my post.. but that was when you were replying! lol

Anyway, if you go up to the menu bar at the top of your browser (Internet Explorer, Mozilla etc) Then click on "View" then click on "View Source" or "Page Source" etc. From there you will see code for that particular page etc.

Oh, and have open your webpage etc,.

This is a hot issue.... and what people do to circumvent this is to watermark photos. Basically, you can get a program freeware or shareware (usually free to try then you buy) and you can put in usually a customized "stamp" per se on your photos. Some people put copyright and the year etc.

Yea, I've recently learned how to watermark. I'm not real concered with my crochet stuff, not that great yet, lol, but I like to share photos of my boys and it makes me nervous that some weirdo could save a pic of my kid and claim him as their own...ya, I am paranoid, I know. :lol Thank you so much I am so clueless sometimes, lol.

No no you have every right to be paranoid. These are your precious kids.. and not clueless at all. The age of the internet has grown way faster than anyone has ever expected. The only thing you could possibly do is maybe create a photo album with a password. And then post in your album photos and only give out the password to those you want to have it.

You could also still watermark the photos, of the kids in that someone wanting to try and pass off a pic of your child as their own may have to explain why there is a watermark there...

So, no you are not being paranoid at all and when it comes to kids and photos and the internet, nothing is 100% safe.

There is another super-easy way to save off the photos from any web-page, whether they are right-click protected or not. It doesn't require anything more than the use of one of the options in the pull-down menu of any browser.

Those who want to get your photos and use them in a way you don't want them to are always going to find a way to do it.

I agree that watermarking is a better method of protection, but it's still possible for people to remove watermarks. Takes a bit more knowledge and effort than the above-mentioned method of saving non-watermarked photos, at least, though!

yarnaholic- what other way? see so much even I do not know!

EDIT: Nevermind yarnaholic, I read that wrong.. I thought save was stave... thinking there was another way to keep photos from being taken! lol I need coffee.. no i don't i need a bath and calgon. And yes, there is another easy way too, sadly :( - now someone who figures out a solution to prevent all this I bet would be a millionaire!?

Etaria,

Am I right that if I use this disable code that they wont be able to take the pics that are actually IN my blog posts? Like say I use flickr to upload my photos then use the "tag" code to post with...thats not in the source code right? At least I couldnt find it. So they have no way of getting to the photos in my posts. (I have all the albums set to private too)

Jeanie, unfortunately, if you have pics on your blog, it is easy for anyone who knows how to just save them with a command from their browser.

I don't want to give any unscrupulous people (since people other than Crochetville members can read these posts) the means to do this, so I'm not going to offer a public explanation on how to do it.

I just "took" one of your photos.

I got that with your no right click installed.

Edit: Same reason why I didn't post it Amy! But alas, I am still able to find her photos :( I think at this point you should watermark your photos, or do not post them >< It is a hard decision, and when it comes to your kids no decision is easy.

I don't post any pictures that I do not want to be made public, because, ANYTHING on our blogs, is public, if you haven't heard by now, & I'm sure that most of you have already!!!

It's so easy to copy someone else's code, and to disabale the right click, will definately make a person who really wants any picture or whatever, will get it, so I do not make my family and our history public, which may sound a little cold, but that's how I feel, so that's what I do.

I love to show all of my crochet work, because I'm so proud of it, don't get me wrong, I'm so very proud of all of our family also and love them very much...!!!

I believe that most anything on the internet is public, so if someone else wants it for some reason will get it no matter what

OK, to all who are worried about the posting of pics and them being stolen. There are a couple of issues here:

1. People "seeing" and taking a copy of the image for their own use...ie predators. The ONLY way to prevent this from happening is to use a service that allows you to password protect your photo directory. That means that the photos aren't open to the public, it is by invitation only, and the users must enter a password to get to it. Great for sharing children's pictures with family and friends. AS A RULE you should never post pictures of yourself, your children, your house, your email address, your phone number, your house address. You are essentially giving away private information and making yourself a target. That goes for posting pictures of other people as well.

2. As for people LINKING to your photo and using YOUR photo on THEIR site (not a copy), your ISP can disable this. That means NO offsite linking, so if you upload it, it CANNOT be used by any other source than your domain name.

Sorry to say, but right click disable is merely an annoyance for those people who actually use it to browse (like me). It does nothing to prevent stealing of pictures. There are SO MANY ways to take an image off of ones' screen, there would be no way to prevent them all, as you'd have to disable a function of your operating system in order to get to at least one of them. And NO source code for an internet browser is EVER going to be allowed the security to do so. Those kinds of things are what Microsoft spends their life making patches for!

I'd say to put more effort into posting safely instead of putting in more code.

Krystal16,

I understand what your saying and I agree...so many people do it though. I guess I am just wandering now if I should be one of them. I want to share my photos with other folks, not just family and friends and I enjoy blogging about my boys...I don't know, I guess I can't have it both ways. :no

No, you really can't have it both ways. However, if you wish to refer to your boys, you could always blog about them and make sure none of the details are there. ALWAYS. I have referred to my DD7, or DS10, and I think that's quite fine. As long as no other personal info is there that someone could connect, you should be safe. However, that sort of eliminates pictures. :( I always tell myself no one will think my kids' antics are as cute as I do, anyway... which is true, because I get stuff from other people about their kids and think.... "Yeah, OK.... looks like a kid sticking a cheerio up his nose". A bit cynical, but I think you understand what I mean. Your family is really who will get the most out of those pics, so it's probably best to keep the pics to them.

Archived