Felted purse (first try)

angieInCA

I really kind of made it up as I went along, Crocheted a round till it was the size I wanted, I think 110 stitches, then worked up till it measured about 18 ". Finished size after felting is 10" Diameter and 12" tall before handles. I used a large plastic coffee can to block while drying.

Marlo's Round Winter Purse Pattern comes closest.

See it here in this thread. http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4041&highlight=round+winter+purse

As for the handles I continued in the round but chained 3 x's the # of stitches I skipped on the body of the purse making them much longer. Connecting 20 stitches on each side. Continued working in the round with 4 more rows to make them thicker and there was no decorative reverse sc on last round although I think I should have done that with one of the lighter yarns, would have made a nice detail.

Thank you for the nice comments:)

Thanks so much! I really like the longer handles.

• 3 months later...
That looks fabulous! How did you do the handle? Everything else I "get". :lol

The Handle is just a continuation of the rounds. When I decided what row I wanted the handle to start I did the following (the stitch count will depend on how big around you have made your bag, mine was 100 stitches aroun

starting with 100 stitches continuing from body of bag.

1st Handle row: Chain 2, hdc in next 15 stitches, chain 40 (or how ever long you want your handle to be, can be shorter can be linger), skip 20 sititches, hdc in next 30 stitches, chain 40 , skip 20 stitches, hdc in next 15 stitches, join to top of chain2.

2nd handle row: Chain 2, hdc in every stitch, join to top of chain2. stitch count 140

handle row 3-5: repeat row 2, finish off. (you can make the handle as wide as you want).

DD has carried this bag everyday since i finished it. She is a Senior in HS and she says every day people come up to her and asks where she bought the bag :D

A felted bag is one of my WIP's. I'm doing it in sc & it gets so boring, I have to put it away for a while. Seeing yours gives me more inspiration to stick to finishing. Thanks for sharing!

• 3 months later...
After seeing all the wonderful felted purses that you all have been working on I decided to give it a try myself. I did a simple hdc in the round using single strand Patons Classic Wool and a K hook. Eyeballed how big I wanted it by guessing it would shrink by about 1/3.

It was so easy and so much fun! My youngest daughter (17) has claimed it as her own and now my oldest daughter (22) want me to teach her how to do it!

Thanks for the inspiration! :hug

What do you think of my first attempt?

Before

100_0592.jpg

after felting

100_0596.jpg

LOVE THAT PURSE< AM GOING TO MAKE ONE

Archived