Felted purse (first try)

angieInCA

After seeing all the wonderful felted purses that you all have been working on I decided to give it a try myself. I did a simple hdc in the round using single strand Patons Classic Wool and a K hook. Eyeballed how big I wanted it by guessing it would shrink by about 1/3.

It was so easy and so much fun! My youngest daughter (17) has claimed it as her own and now my oldest daughter (22) want me to teach her how to do it!

Thanks for the inspiration! :hug

What do you think of my first attempt?

Before

100_0592.jpg

after felting

100_0596.jpg

Great job! :applause I myself have been working on my first felted purse...similar colors, but different design...I'm encouraged by all the good results I'm seeing, though I'm still nervous about sticking this thing in the washing machine!:scared But pretty soon, I'm just going to bite the bullet and do it! Thanks for sharing your success!:cheer

Oh I love it and the way you did the handles (please share the details). Gee, I have a daughter just like yours...I can't make or look at a bag pattern without her wanting it. Yours doesn't look like it shrunk much, I love the size it's perfect!

I really kind of made it up as I went along, Crocheted a round till it was the size I wanted, I think 110 stitches, then worked up till it measured about 18 ". Finished size after felting is 10" Diameter and 12" tall before handles. I used a large plastic coffee can to block while drying.

Marlo's Round Winter Purse Pattern comes closest.

See it here in this thread. http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4041&highlight=round+winter+purse

As for the handles I continued in the round but chained 3 x's the # of stitches I skipped on the body of the purse making them much longer. Connecting 20 stitches on each side. Continued working in the round with 4 more rows to make them thicker and there was no decorative reverse sc on last round although I think I should have done that with one of the lighter yarns, would have made a nice detail.

Thank you for the nice comments:)

I love your purse sooooo much that I had to go to Joann's tonight and buy some yarn so that I can try my own. This will be my first attempt and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be as nice as yours. Great job. :clap

Archived