What is your favorite method of joining yarn?

When joining a new skein of yarn to the one in use, what do you consider the best method of joining?

For a while now I've been using a "weaver's knot" and it works well for me, but I've always wondered how more experience crocheters joined their yarns.

Usually, I just leave a long tail on the previous yarn to weave in later, then pull the new yarn through the loop of the previous yarn, pulling the tail of the previous yarn tight to hold the new loop in place. This method does require rather long tails to weave in, however, since there's no knot to hold the stitches in place.

I used to (and sometimes still do) just finish off the previous color and then join the new color with a slip knot, but that tends to leave an unattractive bump, so now I only do that if I'm joining at the end of a row. I'd be open to an alternative method for this problem.

I do it like Sylvia. Just leave both ends loose and weave them in later. I was always taught to never put knots in your work, that they were unreliable and created rough spots or bumps in the final work. My great aunt taught me to crochet when I was a little girl and definitely had her opinions on the correct way to do things! I never thought the yarn would stay put without knots...but over the many, many years that I have crocheted things, put them through the washer and dryer, had children all over them, etc....I've never had one end work itself loose and begin to unravel.

Sorry, I always triple knot. ;) I have had things unravel in the wash that weren't knotted, so I always knot now, because it's **** trying to fix an unravelled item. Grrr.

Well, I do BOTH!! :lol I make a knot, but I leave long tails and I weave in the tails. However, please do not take my method as "proper." I am a self-taught crocheter, and I probably do not do a lot of things as I ought to!

hey.. has anyone "spliced" their yarn? I was going to start a thread asking that but it seems to fit in here. I got a big pile of assorted books at the thrift shop 2 weeks ago and one of the knitting one shows splicing to join threads

(splicing being unwinding a few inches of each thread and then winding together again)

i use all of the above mentioned methods! depending on the item and the yarn i'm using, on afghans and wearables i prefer the russian join, on toys or children's items i knot, and on household items like tissue covers i weave. :)

i've never spliced

thanks for sharing that russian join method. I can see where that would definately be a good choice to use sometimes.

I'm of the knot-and-weave crowd. I find that I can usually coax the knot under a stitch, to be less noticable (one can't do that with knitting, unfortunately).

I haven't attempted splicing? How does one do that?

I do the knot and weave thing also, but I taught myself how to do most of the stuff, so was never really taught the proper way.

Thanks for the information on the R. thing, never saw it before I will have to try it.

The Russian join looks awesome! I am working on an afghan right now and esp. for middle-of-the-row joins, this version would work great - and so many fewer ends to weave under....

SPLICING

http://www.domiknitrix.com/howtos/spliceyarn.cfm - (I have dialup and have not watched this)

This is closest to what I have in my book, but not the same (I wish I could just scan that!)

http://www.purlwise.com/splicing_yarn/index.html

This sounds like better instructions but no pics

http://www.pagebypage.com/splicing.php

A different technique again, this one you need wool apparently

http://morcatknits.typepad.com/spitsplicing/

I work with thread a lot and you couldn't splice it, but this looks like a really neat way to splice any plied cotton or yarn. It wouldn't work for most novelty yarns either.

I also knot and weave! But I am liking the russian thing and the splicing!!! I think I will give that a try. They would work really well with felting too!! Thanks for the great info!

I either use the Russian join or leave a tail and draw up the new yarn into the stitch in progress (weaving in ends or working over them as I go).

I used to knot, but I've become a bit dissatisfied over the texture differences since I've learned alternate ways. And when I would knot, it always ended up very visible. :lol Perhaps my knotting technique wasn't so good...

:ty to all. I was so insecure about my joining that it seemed like knotting and weaving was the only "secure" way to go. I will definitely try these suggestions. You have all been great !!!!!

Well I am surely a knotter than a weaver. I just dont feel confident on just weaving and I think someone will understand a little knot rather than smoothness and then they wash it and it's wrapped around their washer. Not a good feeling.

Archived