Teaching crochet in LYS

I know many teach at big box stores but== I would like to know if any of you teach crochet at a local yarn store.

If yes, will you please tell me:

• How did you approached them
  • Your experience in working with them
  • What did you tell them about yourself to hire you
  • How did/do you get paid
  • What is your typical student
  • Do you teach beginning classes
    • What yarns do you use to to teach them
    • What did you start them off making

[*]Do you teach intermediate classes

[*]Do you teach advanced classes

[*]Do you think a certification would help you in getting hired

[*]Do you think a memberships to croceht or other fiber groups would help you in getting hired

[*]How do you personally feel about having certifications to teach crocheting

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my post. I am just being a Curious George.

• 2 weeks later...
I know many teach at big box stores but== I would like to know if any of you teach crochet at a local yarn store.

Did I say something wrong here? Doesn't anyone teach at LYS?

I hope I did not offend anyone. It was not my intent. I was just being curious.

:yarn

You said nothing wrong CD, it's possible nobody that actually does teach at a LYS has seen your thread. I teach at Michaels, but it's not what I consider a LYS as well it's quite a bit bigger than that lol

Here's how I would answer your questions :)

If yes, will you please tell me:

* How did you approached them - I walked in and asked if they were looking for instructors

* Your experience in working with them - So far has been great, I really enjoy it :)

* What did you tell them about yourself to hire you- I filled out an application and then brought in examples of my work

* How did/do you get paid - I get paid bi-weekly and it's an hourly charge plus 90% of the class fees. This might be different for a smaller store though :think

* What is your typical student - I've had everything from raw beginners to people that just need some help reading patterns.. it varies

* Do you teach beginning classes - Yes :)

o What yarns do you use to to teach them I started them out practicing on a plain acrylic yarn so they could *see* their stitches

o What did you start them off making - We started out with the beginner project of their choice

* Do you teach intermediate classes Yes

o What yarns do you use to to teach them - With these classes and advanced I would let them choose the project or bring in their problem and we'd work through it together

o What did you start them off making

* Do you teach advanced classes - Yes see prior answer for intermediate

o What yarns do you use to to teach them

o What did you start them off making

* Do you think a certification would help you in getting hired - No, because I don't think the manager of the store was savvy enough about it all to know the difference. I do think however it might help more with a LYS on a smaller scale and it's bound to give you some credibility with your students. I've not had one yet ask me if I was certified though I do intend to do this.

* Do you think a memberships to croceht or other fiber groups would help you in getting hired

* How do you personally feel about having certifications to teach crocheting I don't feel it's necessary though it's bound to be a bonus factor I'd think :)

Thank you for your reply.

I know several people that teach at big box stores and they pretty much mirror your replies.

Since you answered my questions under the Big Box can I ask you a few other Q's?

Ones like;

1. Did you contact any LYS to teach?
  2. Did you consider asking them?
    • If not why?

[*]Do you think LYS are interested in teaching crocheters?

I hope anyone teaching at a LYS will add their replies to my questions too.

Maybe I need to ask my questions to a LYS forum.

Does any one know of any such forum?

If you do, would you, could you, post my note to to them, so I can get some answers?

Thanks in advance

Thank you for your reply.

I know several people that teach at big box stores and they pretty much mirror your replies.

Since you answered my questions under the Big Box can I ask you a few other Q's?

Ones like;

1. Did you contact any LYS to teach?
  2. Did you consider asking them?
    • If not why?

[*]Do you think LYS are interested in teaching crocheters?

I hope anyone teaching at a LYS will add their replies to my questions too.

Maybe I need to ask my questions to a LYS forum.

Does any one know of any such forum?

If you do, would you, could you, post my note to to them, so I can get some answers?

Thanks in advance

I didn't ask at any LYS because I didn't know of any around here to be honest.. I think there is one in the town where I work but I haven't been by there. We are lucky to have Hobby Lobby, AC Moore and Michaels all right close and our stores here carry a huge supply and assortment, what I've not found there I've been able to order online so no shortage of yarn there lol

Now, when I do get into the LYS here I am going to ask them because I do love to teach these classes and I will throw in there that I plan to be certified through the (Craft Yarn Council of America and also am a member of the CGOA which I would think at least shows I'm dedicated to my craft and furthering it with others :)

I'd say if you have many stores like that around just go in and ask! Beyond that run some ads locally and see what response you get though I have to admit my adverts got nothing... when I do craft fairs with my things that's when I get the questions about classes.. so having things out for people to look at definitely helps! :yay

• 2 months later...

Hi i'm not sure if you're still hanging around this post anymore. i teach at a local Micheals. the other post about teaching at micheals is pretty much similar to my situation. my micheals is really lax so i brought tons of things i've made and pix of th ethings i've given away and such and talked about crochet to them and knitting b/c i wanted to do both. they told me i could but they had a knitting instructor already so i'm mainly the crochet instructor and i also teach a knitting socks class. I'm not certified but i was hired on the spot. i've taught most of my friends and many aquaintences to knit or crochet so now i'm getting paid for it. it's hard to believe that it's a job I love it.

now on to your question about teaching at a LYS. i have a few close to me most of them are about 45 min to an hour away so i'm not in them very much but there is one in town near me but when i went in and asked if they were looking for a crochet instructor b/c they already had a knitting one. but they looked at me like i was crazy and just kinda brushed it off. it was the first time i was snubbed for crocheting,:blush and at a LYS that is just starting out i figured they would want to reach out to widen their customer base.. :rolleyes i actually haven't been back to that LYS but i'm thinking about giving them another try. maybe they've changed, i hope.:think

anyways i am not sure that helped you at all. maybe just a warning that not all LYS's are receptive to crochetters.. some are though i think it just depends on the owner/manager.

Archived