1. 1. I crochet:

• Left-handed
    • Right-handed
    • I can use either hand

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess I'm odd, because I'm left-handed but I crochet right-handed. I haven't tried to crochet with my left hand yet...it feels awkward! :lol

Edit: Well, actually, looks like I'm not that odd, based on the responses above! I, too, only eat and write with my left hand--everything else with the right. And my grandma tried to get me to be a righty when I was little, so she made me use scissors with my right hand and ever since then I've done everything else right-handed! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have mixed handedness, which means that *every time* I learn a new skill, I need to learn which hand it goes with.

Today, for example, I started working with an improvised nostepinne (wooden spoon, in my case). I started winding in the "approved, demonstrated manner" as shown on multiple Internet/YouTube videos: nostepinne in left hand, yarn in right.

After about 30 to 40 minutes of slow going in the car--I had nothing else to concentrate on but the yarn from this ohmygodterrible commercial skein--I decided to flip the spoon and hold the "business" end of it in my right and guide the yarn with my left.

Nirvana!:c9 The yarn laid down smoothly on the "nostepinne," with just enough tension to hold its shape but not so much that it would stretch its bounce out. I was winding three to four times as quickly immediately after changing hands--the usual sign that I'm using the correct hand.

I haven't absolutely HAD to crochet left-handed, but I probably could do it in a pinch. However, after so many years (even with a 15-year-plus layoff) of doing it right-handed, it's probably now neurologically ingrained as a right-handed activity.

A weird sampling:

** cutting veggies w/sharp knife--right hand wields the knife, left hand holds the vegs

** peeling boiled eggs--left hand peels the shell, right hand helps

** pouring liquids--left hand pours into container held by right hand; otherwise, mess and spills

** dealing cards--left-handed; otherwise, it can take all day

** writing w/pen or pencil--right hand

See what I mean? Mixed handedness. Absolutely not ambidexterity, where both hands are of equal skill--that's very rare.

DCM

I'm very left handed. There was no one around to teach me how to crochet, so I taught myself by looking in the back of magazines where they draw pictures of hands and yarn, etc.

Actually the way I learn anything is to automatically flip the instructions 'backwards' and mirror what the 'usual' way is. I've tried to show right handers how to crochet, and when they ask me how to hold a hook, I say, do what feels natural to you, and don't hold too tight.

I'm a strong leftie, but since my mother refused to try to teach me crocheting with her left hand I had to learn right-handed crocheting. I should try to teach myself left-handed since they say learning new things keeps the brain young! (I'll be 56 next month)

;)

• 1 month later...

i can use either hand . i learned how to crochet with my right hand . then i had a cousin that wanted me to teach her daughter how to crochet using her left hand. i used the mirror image on her . then my daughter wanted to learn how to crochet . she is a left handed person so i tried to teach her . she could do some if someone started it for her .

she made some mistakes and it had to be started all over. i didn;t want her th get discouraged with it so i taught myself how to do it lefted handed and i can crochet with both hands. sometimes i have to stop and look at the way i'm doing it. i'm working on some baby blankets with a double ended hook and that is why i have to look and see which way it is going'

M.J.

• 3 weeks later...

I am right handed in everything I do....my grandpa, mom and son are all lefties. I hated the fact that the teachers would try and force the lefties in my class growing up to use their right hands. I never thought that was fair.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I crochet right-handed but I'm left-handed when it comes to writing. Most other things I'm right-handed too. No idea why writing is any different. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am right handed, but learned from two left handed my Mother and Grandmother. At one point I had a couple of broken fingers. I just

changed my hook to the other hand and ran yarn over braced fingers.

Edited by spiritwalker
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I crochet with my right hand, knit with my left. I have nerve damage on my left side, but I'm still left eye dominant (I vision problems). I'm learning how to "knook" with my right hand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...