• Left-handed
    • Right-handed
    • I can use either hand

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started out left handed. Now I write and draw left handed. I crochet right handed because thats how I was taught. Use scissors right handed because that used to be the only thing available. I don't know if that has stimulated my mind or warped it. lol

Both because I didn't understand the concept of turning when I was learning. I used the Susan Bates Teach Myself to Crochet book (or something like that). And to me at first I couldn't tell the difference between the two sides of a stitch. So when it said to turn and go back, I thought it meant to turn the hook and go left to right. I couldn't figure out how to do that with my right hand, so I switched to my left hand. There are several beginning projects that I made like that.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a natural lefty forced righty by the grandparents. Now I can do everything with my left hand that I can do with my right except write. Drawing and painting I can do either hand as well as anything else. I have always crocheted with my left hand but now over thirty years later I am contemplating learning to crochet right handed so that others can follow along. I am told that I not only crochet the opposite of a right hander but my work is "inside out and backwards" from the normal. To this day I don't really get how I managed that but absolutely nobody can pick up a piece I'm working on and pick up where I left off because of it.

T-

I can write left or right handed...and also crochet that way. I can only knit continental. Also, I'm a whitewater raft guide...and guide left. I've tried that right handed...and that was scary. LOL

I know this thread is old, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I'm a real lefty & though it was pretty easy for me to learn to crochet with my left hand, knitting is another animal altogether.

It took me forever just to learn how to knit & purl. Although I consider myself an advanced crocheter, I still haven't managed to get beyond basic beginner in knitting. I want so bad to be able to knit socks, as I like the knitted ones so much better than the crocheted. But I just can't seem to master the 4 needle thing or 2 circulars at the same time. I started downloading some pics of a tutorial & flipping them around, but still couldn't get it.

I have 3 kids & only my oldest DD is a lefty like me. But her DBF (John) is also a lefty. When they come over with John's son, Ian. Ian is always moving the mouse to the other side of the computer. I laughed one day & told him that's how it is for us lefties all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
I too am a lefty in writing and such but I crochet right handed because that is how my grandmother taught me. LOL She got frustrated trying to teach me.

My Grandma gave up w/ me! She couldn't understand that lefties are different (same thing w/ my mom). Eventually my friends mom taught me,

cause she didn't care how I held the yarn or if I did it backwards. Which is probably not really a good thing, since now I have issues with certain patterns. Ah, well.:)

I crochet, write, draw, paint and shoot basketball left handed. I knit, cut, play softball right handed. I can hammer and shoot pool with either hand. Part of the challenges of growing up left handed in a right handed world. Glad I crochet lefty, though, so I can convince people that they CAN crochet, even though they are left handed!!! :yes

• 3 weeks later...

I crochet with my lefft hand(I'm a rightie), it's kind of a prefereance, because I've tried but I can't do it with my right hand

I crochet right handed, but my great-grandmother who taught me to crochet was left-handed. Therefore, although I crochet right-handed, I do it like a left-handed crocheter would. Clear as mudd? LOL

I and left-handed, but about the only things I do left-handed are sew, eat, and write. Everything else is right-handed, including crocheting.

• 1 month later...

Michaelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and Picasso (to say nothing of Harry S Truman) were all left handed. With company like that how could I deny it? (writing, crocheting, and everything else)