Poll: Left or Right Handed?

Amy

I crochet:  

870 members have voted

1. 1. I crochet:

• Left-handed
    • Right-handed
    • I can use either hand

I crochet right handed, and do many things right handed b/c I was taught to. However I am naturally ambidextorous and when I knit I go back and forth continental.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm right handed and crochet right handed.

I have taught left handed people to crochet left handed. It seems to work well when they are across from me and they can mirror the stitches.

• 2 weeks later...

LEFTIE all the way. I taught myself to crochet, and I mirrored my mom when she taught me to knit. I'm the only one in my family that crochets...my dads mom did, but she passed away 15 years ago. I do a lot of things like she did. :) They tried to change me to a righty in school, but I fought them. Finally the teachers stopped trying. my 9 year old is a lefty too.

I am a born leftie, but the only 2 things I do leftie are write and hold a fork. No one ever tried to change me. That's just the way I learned things, by watching others. Maybe because it is hard to grow up as a left handed person in a right handed world! I guess in a way I am sort of ambidextrous.

Years ago, while bowling on a league (I bowl rightie), I sat down to keep score after my turn, and one of the guys on the team asked me why I was writing with my left hand if I bowled with my right. My answer was, that's just how I learned.

And yes, I do crochet rightie. But the theory is that left handed people are more creative. So I have the best of both worlds!

FootballMom :hook

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm right handed and a right handed crocheter, but I do random things left handed, for example....clapping...most people (right handed anyways) clap with their right hand into their left, but I do it opposite...didn't realize til someone noticed and asked if I was left handed!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm right-handed. ... I've had classmates in the past who were lefties and noticed that their handwriting looked different than mine because they're lefties. Kinda makes me wonder if crochet projects look different between lefites and righties.

Left handed. Both parents were, and so is my brother. I learned to crochet right-handed,because that's the way Grandma taught me. I work as a quality technician, and all my tools are right handed. Left handed micrometers and calipers are too hard to find, and very expensive. I was very fortunate to not have been forced to be right handed. Personally, I find the practice barbaric.:soap Sorry, I'll get down, now.

Margie <:3( )~~~

I wish I'd realized how ambidextrous I am back when I wanted my mom to teach me to crochet. She always thought she couldn't teach me since she was right handed and I was a southpaw. She's gone now, and now I know I can crochet righthanded.

• 2 months later...

This is always a question I pose to my students when teaching them to crochet. :) I'd never taught anyone that was lefthanded to crochet before so I was a bit worried that I was just going to confuse the heck out of her...poor thing...:) But she did great. I was very proud! Anyway, what I was going to say is in my teaching career I think I've taught about 7 ladies to crochet lefthanded...how can you figure that in? Oh, that doesn't include left handed children though, I've taught 2 left handed girls too, and they weren't just lefthanded, they were also disabled due to loss of use in the right hand, so I guess they were left handed and one handed too...they were amazing. Crocheted up a storm...drove their mom nuts doing blanket after blanket. We are very proud of them.

Oh the question if lefty work looks different than righty...yes it does. Not incredibly diferent, but if your used to seeing it look a certain way and you see the work of a lefty you'll think something's off a little. It's in the way the DC strands lay, a righty when they crochet the strands will twist to the left, on a lefty they twist to the right...ironic ain't it. :) I guess it also depends on how they learned how to crochet. There was one lady that I couldn't really unteach to crochet the right way and she did something funky by crocheting between her pointer and middle right fingers, and this caused her work to look even more different. So it really just depends.

Well i am a "switch hitter" I too got into allot of trouble in school for writing left handed.I never could understand what the big deal.I was forced to learn to write with my right hand in like the 3rd grade.I now can actually write with both hands at the same time.(being ill allot as a child i had WAY too much time on my hands LOL)

It's been a little hard to learn to crochet with both hands and some times a bit confusing too.but the trade off is that with my arthritis in my hands if one starts to hurt too much i can always switch to the other.anyone else a "switch hitter"?:hook

Right handed. Had to be, when I was in 1st grade I wrote with both hands, but kept getting smacked with a ruler when I used my left. Needless to say that broke me.