Amigurumi Patterns from Japan

MyGirlFriday

I was wondering how difficult the patterns are to read in the books that are written in Japanese??

I have a girlfriend that is living there but she doens't know anything about crocheting~I would love a few of these books.

Are the patterns done up with pictures?? diagrams??

Info please~

mgf~:yay

I don't know in particular about amigurumi books, but I am a Japanese expat and I do own some Japanese crochet books.

When they say "pattern", they almost invariably mean "chart". Japanese knitters and crocheters are often surprised to see instructions written out in words and abbreviations. This, of course, is fortunate for yarn crafters who don't read Japanese.

You can figure out most things as long as you are familiar with the basic techniques involved, and know how to read charts. Also, their measurements are all in metrics, mostly in centimeters (usually abbreviated as "c"). They often have additional information written out in Japanese, but if you get really stuck, you can PM me and I may be able to help you out.

Good luck.

I have a Japanese amigurumi book I got at yesaisa.com it's pretty easy to figure out. The charts are simple so that helps. Sometimes I might not be sure if I'm making the critters leg or arm until I finish it though! lol I haven't really had any problems with it though.

Archived