Coupon Frustration at JoAnn's

Bearsgrammy

I have always liked JoAnn's, enjoyed prowling through the holiday junk, enjoyed their sales, too. One thing I really dislike about this store, though, is their coupon policy. A few weeks ago, I recieved a 50 percent off coupon for a date about 2 weeks from then. I carefully folded the coupon and put it away. Come the big day. I went to the store and almost every single thing was on sale! Christmas, baskets, yarn, you name it and it was on sale. There were a few things I really did not need that I could have used the coupon on, but I ended up buying a Speed-crochet hook, that I probably won't use for a while. The coupon clearly specified that it was only for regular-priced items. Its the same way with their 40 per cent off coupons, rarely a thing to be had that you can use. Truth to tell, I am about ready to let that store go. We now have a brand new Michael's and an A.C. Moore, both are better stocked with supplies. For the time I wasted at JoAnn's, I would (almost)(lol) pay full price at either of these other stores. I will probably return, if only for the sales on decorative items, but I am just throwing out the coupons--there is no point taking them there.:lol

I agree when the big sales are on it is hard to find a regular priced item I want. At Hobby Lobby they won't take two coupons like some stores will only 1 per week. I guess that is okay but they don't have as many as some of the other stores. So at Michael's they will take 2 the same day from their store or another's. Pretty good deal.

Darlene

Yeah, I got that complaint from guests a LOT during this particular sale...

The policy is the same for all "any one item" coupons -- it must be a regular priced item. I know it's very frustrating... I ended up using mine on a roll of Wilton parchment paper (needed it to wrap my polymer clay), and a wooden "B" for a holiday gift. Neither were big ticket items... I would much rather have used it on the value pack of one stroke brushes I bought... LOL!

There are more 50% coupons coming for Moonlight Madness on 10/20 and 10/21, and I'm sure the same thing will happen... ;)

Bearsgrammy, If all else fails you can take those 50% off Jo Ann's coupons to A.C. Moore.

Suebee, is Jo Ann's no longer adjusting sale prices to the coupon? Like if this thing was on sale for 20% off you'd scan the coupon after it and the sale price would go to 50% off?

Suebee, is Jo Ann's no longer adjusting sale prices to the coupon? Like if this thing was on sale for 20% off you'd scan the coupon after it and the sale price would go to 50% off?

Nope, the policy changed on December 26, 2005. ;)

I can't imagine complaining because "everything's on sale". Yes, I'm a coupon clipper, and I've even been known to go the Joann's or Michael's every day to purchase one skein of yarn with a coupon until I have the amount I need for a project. How are they supposed to know just what it is that you are going to want to purchase and they shouldn't put that on sale? Trust me, in a month or so, it will be something different that you want and it will be on sale. Please don't take my attitude as flippant or rude, because I don't mean it to be. I'm just laughing because it happens to me all the time too. Just last night we went to Michael's with my 40% off coupon and I couldn't find anything at a regular price that I wanted to "waste" my coupon on. I just figured that it wasn't meant for me to buy anything and surely I'd find something next time. At the last minute, DH found something he wanted and we used it for that item. Every coupon doesn't have to get used and you know there's gonna be another one next week, right?

Mudpie, as a part time Hobby Lobby associate, all I can say is (and excuse me for dating myself) "Right On!"

I've seen people use their HL 40% off coupon for a candy bar, because everything else they bought was on sale. :D

Thank you, mudpie!

I also have the same view, but it's more from the "I don't want to hear people moaning and whining about it to my face in the store" perspective, so I wasn't sure if I, as a Jo-Ann employee, was in a good place to say so... LOL!

I admit that while as a customer it frustrates me to a point, but hey, what can you do? LOL!

Most of the time I go to Joann's. because they have a better selection of yarn than Michaels. I use the coupons when I remember to take them. I do know that everytime I open my wallet to take out the Joann's coupon, they ask if I want to use the Michaels coupon also. Usually, I don't as I have to go to Michaels for something only they carry.

I find this policy great. They sure don't do this in Michaels.:hook

I've been to JoAnn's maybe twice in the last 6-8 months because I have issues with many of their policies. I understand your complaint about the coupons. A lot of times I wonder why they even do coupons with the sales, other than to get people in the door. I understand why they do it because it's good for business, yet I also think it's a tad misleading to the customer when most of the store is on sale for less than the coupon price. These days, I take most of my coupons to A.C. Moore or Michael's. Since Hobby Lobby and Michael's are closer to my home, I normally go there anyway, and usually plan my larger purchases based on when coupons come out.

I also have the same gripe with JoAnn's coupon's. Alot of the times I wish to use the coupons on kids print fabric and you can never use the 40% off those cuz' they are always 25% or 30% off. That just bugs me.

A few yrs. ago I used a Michael's 50% off coupon at JoAnn's on some yarn, and didn't realize it until I went to my car. I had wondered why it wouldn't scan & she had to manually punch it in the % off. I was happy though.

So does that mean I can use Michael's coupon @ JoAnn's and vice versa if it's the same item? Just wondering.

jaye

I'm fed up with my Joann's also but it's because of the service there. On monday I went to use the columbus day coupon and when I went to an open checker I was told there was one line and had to go wait. But then she helped someone who appeared who was never in line. I asked about it and she ignored me. So I decided to leave. Other things like this have happened before and I've figured the person was having a bad day but the service is consistently bad at this store and they don't offer much for me anymore.

The speed crochet hook I bought is a very large red hook. It is somewhat like an "o" hook only larger. It makes it easier to hold two or three strands of yarn together. It is $6.99 full price. The ad said it makes crocheting "speedier" when you are making an "o" hook type project. Not too much different--but a pretty color anyhow--bright red! I think(might be wrong about this as I threw away the packaging, it is an "S' hook. I am going to try an afghan with it at some future date--too much going on right now.

I agree with you. Everytime that I go there I don't usually find much, but a couple of weeks ago I started crocheting with wire so I needed all the jewelry supplies, once I got there ALL the jewelry stuff where 30% off (coupon it's only for regular price), so I wasted the coupon on a little thing so I could at least give it some use.

Hello,:hook

I totally agree with the problem with JoAnn's coupons. They have huge sales and then offer coupns. Now I like the sales but since I want to use the coupon I am then locked into finding something at regular price and buying it too. Now what bothers me is that they are now scanning your address with the coupon! Like I want to cheat! I have been going there for a long time. What I do is use my coupons at Michaels as they will except JoAnn's coupons too! :cheer

I have a question, that may seem silly but I am new here. How do I start a discussion? It is such a large place to navigate around I get lost. :think

Thanks for your help!!

Now what bothers me is that they are now scanning your address with the coupon! Like I want to cheat!

Um... we've always done that. :D

It makes sure you STAY on the list and KEEP getting coupons. ;)

(Especially if you use your coupon at the cutting counter... those scanners don't recognize that data... only the front registers do!)

What I do is use my coupons at Michaels as they will except JoAnn's coupons too! :cheer

I have a question, that may seem silly but I am new here. How do I start a discussion? It is such a large place to navigate around I get lost. :think

Thanks for your help!!

I only use my JoAnn's coupon often enough to continue getting them. If you don't use them every 4-5 months or so, they take you off the list. In between time, I use the coupons at the other stores.

To start a new topic, go to the section of the board you want to post in. At the top of the screen on the left hand side, you'll see a little box that says "New Thread". Hit that and it should take you to a new page to type up your message. Welcome to the group!

In my area, they deliver the Michael's sale flyer with the reg. mail. And if they have the 50% off I go to neighbors and ask them if they aren't gonna use it if I can have it. Then I get another one in the Sunday newspaper. It usually comes in handy. Like for yarn(if it's not on sale).

jaye

Crafty Shannon,

Thank you, but I am still confused? Where do you find the topics? When I go to New Topics there isn't anything to start a new topic? And the top tool bar doesn't have any topics that you can click on. Like I said I am new here. Thanks for understanding.

Crafty Shannon,

Thank you, but I am still confused? Where do you find the topics? When I go to New Topics there isn't anything to start a new topic? And the top tool bar doesn't have any topics that you can click on. Like I said I am new here. Thanks for understanding.

Hi Debb- Honestly, I've never used the new post thing until you pointed it out. I think all that does is shows you all the new posts since your last visit in case you don't want to search for new posts. It isn't a place to actually start new topics.

When you are on the main screen http://www.crochetville.org/forum/ you will see a bunch of subforums like introduce yourself, any of the show and tell forums, or the one this thread is located, called Other Shopping Talk, etc. Pick whichever board you think deals with what you want to discuss. Once you are there in the specific sub forum, you should see the little box on the left that says "New thread" . Hit that and a page should come up that says "Post new Thread". Then just type and send it like you did when you posted here.

Archived