Eco-Fil Yarn

tinkerpuppet

I just bought this new yarn from Walmart. Its called Eco-Fil (75% cotton - 25% acrylic) and claims to be 'Recycled earth friendly yarn'. Not entirely sure what that means, but it sounds good. It was $3.97cdn for 225g (don't know the yardage) but is bigger than a skein of Bernat Satin and smaller than a skein of RHSS.

I have a friend who is very environmentally aware/active and I figure this is perfect to make a gift for her with. My first thought is a Fat Bottom Bag. Has anyone used this yarn before? Any comments on it? With the blend of acrylic, would it be okay for things like dishcloths? I'm thinking of maybe picking up more but not sure what to do with it.

I am a big fan of cotton / acrylic blend yarns. I loved Lion Brand's Cotton Ease (now discontinued :irk ) and it was a 50/50 blend. So, I would think a yarn with 75% cotton would be plenty cotton-y enough to make great dishcloths. I am going to have to keep an eye out for this yarn. It sounds yummy! :dance

It may just be at some of the Walmarts. I've only seen it at one WM near me, not others. Although there are some other yarns at different WM not in the other stores too!

It sure would be nice if they could carry the same stuff in all the stores!

It sure would be nice if they could carry the same stuff in all the stores!

man do i agree to that. all the walmarts on the island (montreal) have the crappiest yarn section it is half of one small aisle and i went off the island and went to a walmart and the yarn selection was double and they carried lion brand, which none on the island carry. i was happy and a bit mad too since i would have to go off the island again to get it and i dont have a car:kick

• 5 years later...

This is great yarn I have used it for a couple of projects.... it is 75% recycled cotton 25% acrylic. It has a smooth texture when using it.... I can only get it here in 100 gm balls. It is Made in Turkey/finished in Canada (whatever that means). But I love it!:cheer

man do i agree to that. all the walmarts on the island (montreal) have the crappiest yarn section it is half of one small aisle and i went off the island and went to a walmart and the yarn selection was double and they carried lion brand, which none on the island carry. i was happy and a bit mad too since i would have to go off the island again to get it and i dont have a car:kick

Is this a Canadian thing? I have yet to see it in the States.

One thing I've taken advantage of is that Walmart offers a feature where you buy it online and pick it up at a local store, thereby saving on shipping and getting a wider selection than would normally be on their shelves.

Archived