Hooks on Planes

Definately call the airline, but even if they say "yes" that dosent' mean that you will pass security.

Who in their right mind will stand at the security check and argue with the officer? When I went recently to Mexico, I had no problem in Newark international airport on departure.

However, leaving Mexico was a different story. The same airline, Continental, but security would not let me board the plane with the same hook. Again, who argues with airport security? I felt lucky that at least I had my crocheting while flying down and while I was there.

Remember not to bring a favorite or precious hook.

Yes, hooks are allowed, as well as scissors less than 4". I just got back from a trip to Hawaii and had no problems at all. I brought 2 metal hooks, small scissors and a tapestry needle and no problems what-so-ever.

Have a good trip!!!

Just to add, scissors are ok only if they are blunt/rounded tip. I had a pair of tiny folding embroidery scissors confiscated the last time I flew. So now I bring a bright purple and pink, plastic encased pair of kids scissors when I fly. Also prinf out a copy of the FAA regulations on what can be taken on a plane. It's available somewhere on the net. Highlight the part on crochet hooks and scissors, and keep it with you on case.

The last time I flew was in May, and I actually went up to the TSA guy before I checked my luggage in to see if my hook would be OK on board. (Other wise I would have put it into my checked luggage). He said there would be no problem. This was before they tightened the regs up again after the problems in London.

Why not buy a cheap plastic hook.. that way if they confiscate it you haven't lost a favorite hook.

Joan

if you are buying cheap plastic to bring on the plane you might want to grab more than one cause I've heard the cheaper plastics break easily. Would hate to be sitting there with a broken hook. Just a suggestion hope you enjoy your tripe

i went to new orleans in August and had no problem at all with small scissors and hooks. I also put extra hooks in my luggage just in case they took them away from in. Now that I am remembering, I had hooks in my pocketbook and my carry on and they didn't question anything, but I would check with your airline just to be on the safe side

:manyheart I heard they wont let you bring hooks:hook on board, cause there afraid you'll crochet an afghan:think :rofl :rofl :rofl:devil

Love your husband's joke! LOL!:lol

But seriously there is a thread about this here

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32175

It has A Lot of information and suggestions! One idea is to bring with you a stamped self addressed envelope so if you can not get the hooks onboard, you can mail them home to yourself! Thread cutters and yarn cutters have been confiscated because they can be taken apart and they have razors inside.....most women will use a dental floss pack to cut the yarn or the thread....a bit strange but it is acceptable and it works! One woman suggested searching for the Airlines security site and printing off what is allowed and what is not allowed as proof of what you can and can not get onboard.....bring the hard copy with you. But when push comes to shove...it is the call of the security officer, and the level of security on any given day......One woman even said that she had trouble getting eyelash yarn onboard! The security officers did not know what it was and thought that it looked suspiciously like bomb making material! I think it is best to stick with plastic hooks a dental floss pack to cut your thread, proof that these items can go onboard and a self addressed envelope if they still can not for some reason.....finally stick to easily identified fibers! Bon Voyage!

I am glad that somebody posted this on here I will be flying to Wisconsin from North Carolina and wanted to take a project with me to do. I was wondering that myself. But when I called to ask about car seat regualtions I forgot to ask about crochet hooks and things. :eek I am going to go for it also and see what happens after all my grandmother is going to be where I am going and her fingers are too out of shape for crocheting :( now so I guess you could say I'll have extras waiting....just in case.

:manyheart I heard they wont let you bring hooks:hook on board, cause there afraid you'll crochet an afghan:think :rofl :rofl :rofl:devil

ok it was just a silly joke my husband loves to tell

My husband tells the same joke. Silly men!:manyheart

I would keep some hooks in your carry-on bag and also a spare or two in your luggage. Just in case they get taken away going there. At least, you will have an extra when you get to your destination.

As for security, each person is different. Some don't think it is a threat, and some may.

Have a safe trip.

:manyheart

Archived