Alpacha yarn on Dirty Jobs

Maybe this doesn't really belong here but, I'm currently watching Dirty Jobs on Discovery and they are making alpacha yarn! Ok, maybe they weren't crocheting it per se, but who doesn't want a nice skein of alpacha yarn? :P It was really very interesting to see how they start from the animal and shave it then spin it into yarn so we can make toasty warm sweaters.

I was watching that too! (Mike Rowe is my current "Television Boyfriend" ;) ) It was really cool to see the very begining of the yarn process. And the alpaca were so cute!

Today and tomorrow in MN is the Minnesota Alpaca Statewide Farm tours.

We were all set to go today and then had to change our plans. :(

If anyone else from MN is interested you can find farms near you and have a free tour. Some even have demostrations.

http://alpacasofmn.com/AOM_Farm_Tour_Page.html

He's even more charming when his shirt is off :lol !!!!

I'm totally challenging L-A to a TV Boyfriend fight. He's mine, I tell you, all mine!!!!

Okay Tiga, I'm ready to meet you in the parking lot after school! Mike Rowe is MY TV boyfriend, and no one else's! :devil

I watched it too. I cringed when Mike started shearing!! What a way to ruin a nice alpaca blanket. So many 2nd cuts! I commented to DH that I bet Dirty Jobs had to pay for the fleece of that animal before they let Mike near the alpaca with the shears!

Here's some Australian alpaca i spun up earlier this year:

0306aussiealpaca.jpg

• 2 months later...

I Love Dirty Jobs It Is One Of My Favorite Shows-mike Rowe Is Totally Gorgeous! But I Have To Tell You Girls He Is All Mine! The Way He Shaved That Alpaca Made Me Cringe Too--im Pretty Sure The Discovery Channel Did Have To Pay For That--

He messes up on so many shows that I wonder if the people that invite him have to sign a release so Discovery doesn't have to cover all his mistakes. Plus alot of these people in a way get some sort of free advertising. I guess the only way to find out is to ask him to join you in your dirty job. Hmmm, does changing diapers count.

I was at a Mensa convention a couple years back and a woman gave a talk on care and feeding of alpacas. Very interesting until the point where one of the alpacas spit on my friend. Then it was very funny. It wasn't exactly spit -- it was more like the entire contents of the stomach.

totally love the show Dirty Jobs. This was a good show. It is nice to see where some of our yarn starts out. I don't know if I will ever be able to afford Alpaca yarn, but it is beautiful stuff.

Archived