Walmart!

Marlena

I admit that I bought a sequined thread-crochet bolero early this summer from WalMart - it was only $15 or so, but I know it would have taken me at least that much and TONS of time to crochet it myself. I'm bad!!

WalMart here in Waco has lots of crocheted wearables too. I think most of them are made in China. As I refuse to buy things made with slave labor, I look to see what st. are used & make my own for gifts etc.

This is SUCH a pet peeve of mine...if anyone KNEW how easy it is to crochet their own things, they wouldn't bother buying them off the rack! It's so much more fun...:D

My Mom use to sew all my cloths. I never had any that weren't hand made till I went to work. Now don't get me wrong, She could make suits with lining and wedding gowns to die for, but I always wanted something bought in the store. When I was finally able to do this, she would take it and reinforce all the seams, and complain that it was badly made.

I swore I would not do the same thing. Well, I was in WalMart, saw the crocheted shrugs and such. Just shook my head and said to John that it is so cheaply made. Not as nice as the stuff shown on C'Vill.

Heaven help me, I have turned into my Mother, but it is so true. They are nice, but not as nice as the stuff shown here.:hook

I saw tons of crochet scarves, gloves and purses at walmart. Starting around $10 per item. Go figure!

Holy granola, I just saw them today!

One looks like a total rip-off of the that Lion Brand "Romance" yarn pattern - can't think of the name right now, but someone just made a shawl out of it instead of the scarf.

I picked them all up and was checking out the stitch work :devil . It wasn't bad. It was all super chunky yarn, though, and I don't care for that look.

There was one, though, that I wanted to buy so I could try to make it, but the yarn alone would cost more than $10 for me! It was the granny square one with fringe. If I ever had reason to wear a scarf, I might buy it. Why do they sell these things in Florida???

Wow...I saw the crocheted stuff in Wal-Mart tonight and was pleasantly surprised since it indicates crochet is in strong right now...so my gifts should all be appreciated even more this year. :)

I wasin walmart yesterday here.. they have a few crocheted things but by and large they have the ugliest clothes this year. All the pretty things are in small sizes only and the larger stuff is just old and frumpy looking.

Whoever does their buying needs to be taken out and shown what the real world is. I've gotten to where i hate to even go in there shopping :(

Yes I've seen them, a friend of mine actually thought about buying one of the crochet purses till she had me look at it. I found several mistakes and a couple places where thread had been tied together that looked as if it would eventually come apart. Well what can we expect from cheap labor.

The worst thing about cheaply made crochet at walmart is then people don't want to pay anything for quality handmade stuff. We can't keep up with mass production and crocheting something beautiful does take time.

• 1 month later...

My daughter would live in Walmart if she could. Everytime we get in the car, she instantly asks to go to Walmart and she's only 4.

A friend of mine bought a crocheted tablecloth from the Walmart here a few months ago. She was so proud of it and was showing it off to me and I told her I had tons of tablecloth patterns and that I could've made her one. The other day, I saw her in the laundry room and she had the tablecloth with her. The stitching was falling apart and she was so upset about it so now I'm trying to mend it for her. I wish she'd just take me up on my offer.

I seen them too! :) I think it was last month when I first saw them. I like the rose when and was checking it out to see how it was made along with a couple of the scarves. The price was a little over $10 but if I would have bought the the yarn to make it myself it would have been more than $10.

I agree with chrispersmom, nobody will want to pay for good quality handmade stuff.

But it also shows that crocheted stuff is becoming more popular, most of the time you just see the knitted stuff.

I think also, people see this... buy the cheap stuff and then when it comes apart they are either more prone to look for better quality or pay more attention to better quality.

Yanno, I might just have to buy one of those scarves to keep around for comparison and to make note of the errors and places it might come apart ;)

Archived