WIPS.......tension........

Imade the cowgirl hat, from stitch n bitch......happy hooker. Holy Cow! Talk about tension issues! I used regular worsted weight yarn, doubled as instructed. I used the same size hook, but the hat is huge! I put it on, and it goes over my ears. yep. So, I am heartbroken. I think that I will have to take it apart, and start over. I'm not sure if I should try to crochet tighter, or use a smaller hook.

I also made the asphyxiation choker, from.......the anticraft. More tension issues. I didn't think it would be a problem, as I was using a hook a little bit smaller than asked for. i used a 1.7, and i think it asks for a 1.9 or 2. anyways, the squares are supposed to end up being about 3 inches each. I get to the fourth square, and the ends already touch around my neck, (without the rose) So, i'm not sure what to do about that. Should I put the rose on one of the squares and have the hooks or snaps off centre in the back? Or should I try again, and crochet tighter? I have no idea!

Usually I do ok with tension, but not this time! The choker was to be part of my halloween costume. (fallen angel) But there is still time to work on it.

I am the opposite. Dd was born and gets to wear many of the hats I make for myself....she will be 1 years old this month! I don't even know why I own smaller hooks because I crochet tighter than most patterns. When I do a swatch I also go up a size or two on the first try. It is so disappointing though I know.:hug

Rachel

I hear you on that hat. I had to make it for a storemodel at the lys where I work p/t. I worked so tight my hands ached (!!) because I know I work somewhat loose...of course, two stranding WW sugarncream with that small hook forces you to work somewhat tight...maybe she has a bigger head than me? It was huge...at least we don't have to wear it at work...it just sits there and looks pretty...I think dec extra on the row before the brim might help it some, but. . . :yarn

Archived