Amish tragedy

salos

Sahahne, you really don't have to worry about your squares arriving in time. For one thing, I wouldn't want to leave out your squares for anything. Also, Do you really think I can finish ten afghans in that short of a time? Besides, those families are going to be needing loving care for a long time. This week my husband and I talked with a man who lost his wife and daughter nine years ago, and he's still recovering. So, while I don't want to delay, I know that there's no hurried rush.

Today might be the day when the squares start arriving. Thank you all so much for your participation. It means a lot to me, and it will mean so very much more to those families and that community. hugs, Mary

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a pretty, but not too splashy pattern (and kind of evokes an image of a cross too). It would be nice if we could come up with a uniform pattern to use so that the afghans don't look too.......um.............gaudy. :eek

Is a uniform pattern being considered? If you are going to use a uniform pattern what about those of us who have already completed and mailed our squares . . . . . will they still work or . . . . . redo . . . send new ones etc.?

:manyheartI just found this thread and have pmm'd Mary for her address. I definitely want to take part. Just the idea that something I have helped in some small way to make, helping someone to feel better. Now that's magic. Cheers for Mary, to take on putting together 10 afghans! My grandma always told me that the Angels are here on earth and I think she may have been right. love and hugs to everyone here that has lost someone. i myself lost my mother only last month, so I understand the loss and you are in my prayers.

Is a uniform pattern being considered? If you are going to use a uniform pattern what about those of us who have already completed and mailed our squares . . . . . will they still work or . . . . . redo . . . send new ones etc.?

I think with ten comfortghans, I'll be able to sort out the squares so everything will find things that match. I know some people are tight on money so I didn't want to say, "Everyone go buy such and such yarn." I really think this will all work out. I'll keep everyone posted on our progress.

My latest thoughts are that I'll make more lavender because that goes with almost everything, and it fits our initial color requests and it's feminine.

Chrispersmom, thanks for your kind words. They apply to everyone here.

Salos:

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, lavender will be very pretty. I read your previous post re: lots of time, so maybe I can make and send a few more. Thanks again.

I think with ten comfortghans, I'll be able to sort out the squares so everything will find things that match. I know some people are tight on money so I didn't want to say, "Everyone go buy such and such yarn." I really think this will all work out. I'll keep everyone posted on our progress.

My latest thoughts are that I'll make more lavender because that goes with almost everything, and it fits our initial color requests and it's feminine.

Chrispersmom, thanks for your kind words. They apply to everyone here.

Friends, I received three packages this afternoon. :cheer:clap:hug:yay

Squares came in from Mumbles17, LostCove, and Dragonfli. They are all really pretty. So far we have 30 12" squares and 15 6" squares. Thank you!

I'll post photos as soon as I can. My DH is the one who does pictures, so as soon as he has some free time we'll do it.

hugs all around, Mary

I want to cheer you guys, for this! I wish so much that I could take part. My mom is very sick right now and I've been having bad nights taking care of her, I just couldn't sum up the strength to do it but I just wanted to send you all a hug of encouragement and a big good for you! :clap

Thanks for posting pictures of the progress, Mary! :cheer It's nice to see that we are all using similar color themes and simple, traditional granny square patterns. The afghans should come out really nice! I should have mine off in the mail next week (slow to finish...family drama) probably via priority mail.

And thanks to the others for their well-wishes! goodtaste, I will pray that your mom gets well soon, for her sake and yours. Big :hug hugs!

mary - pictures look lovely - there's lots of lovely squares there - ( I dont envy you in having to sew them all up !!)- but if you need any more squares- please email/pm me - I would be more than happy to make some more.

you are doing a wonderful thing.

fiona

I passed the thanks on to my husband, who did the photos. Thanks to everyone for your squares.

BTW, Mumbles17 sent me a handmade card to go with an afghan. The card is really beautiful. Hats off, Mumbles!

:cheerAll the squares look really beautiful! So far, I have 7 six inch squares made. some are just plain grannies, but I changed colors in them to make them prettier. And I sort of made up a square. It has popcorns on the first two rows and it kind of makes it look like a flower. Simple, but very pretty. I plan to make several more before mailing. The colors I have used are country blue, rose, light sage, and cream. I hope the colors are okay....I sort of had those lying around in good amounts and they seemed to fit. Great job to everyone!

I just received some squares from CrochetRN. They are so nice.

If someone is wondering, we're about a third of the way there as far as having enough squares. So if you're snowed in (New York) or sunburned (Florida), it's okay if you make some squares today. :hug Mary

Mary,

a box of squares is headed your way,sorry for the delay,everytime I tried to get there last week,something came up,and the count kept growing.: )

Denny,

an envelope is on its way to you also.

Linda

Denny:

My 8 year old loves to crochet. When I was crochetting the squares for the comfortghans that Salos is putting together, she wanted to help and I told her that they needed to be certain sizes and colors. Unbeknownst to me, she put together 8 sqares!!:heart They are quite pretty, each square is lavendar, sage green, slate blue, cream and a varigated of all of those colors. Here is the drawback, they are all 8 ":oops. She followed a pattern and ended up with 8" squares and she wants me to, "send them for the families who's little girls are with God now and the little kids who miss their daddy":cry . Now I know they won't work for Salos' confortghans because they are the wrong colors, but I though maybe(?):think you might be able to use them? It is ok, if not - - we can save for another project. I would make them bigger for her, but over the next 5 weeks, I just won't have time. I have two business trips :plane and I am teaching:blah a class in between!! Work, work, work:bang - - I just wan't to crochet!!!!:hook Anyway, let me know.

My squares will be mailed either today or tomorrow!

Laurine

I just received a box from Shaelynnsmom. The squares are so wonderful. all the squares you folks have sent are great.

Thank you, Shaelynnsmom! I'll post photos soon.

Laurine,

Please send me your daughter's squares. I can make them bigger or have them fit some how. How wonderful that she felt the need to make them. I will try to showcase them in some way so that they are important. Thank you again!

Denise

Here are photos of some recent arrivals.

From Shaelynnsmom: http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/salos/crochet/SQ08.jpg and

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/salos/crochet/SQ07.jpg

from Crochet RN:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/salos/crochet/SQ06.jpg

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Thanks Denny. I will have them in the mail tomorrow!!

Laurine

P. S. I will throw in the rest of the skeins too, so you will have them to add, join, whatever. Thanks again!!

Archived