Amish tragedy

salos

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for those links, Mary. The plain Granny squares will be just fine, then. I'll PM you when I've got them all ready to go. I'll be working on them all day tomorrow - I've got a doctor's appointment, so I'll have plenty of waiting room time.

I'd like to help out too. I'm a bit concerned though about the time it would take to send the squares from Australia. Air mail can be up to two weeks from here. Is that too long?

Sahahne, I think those people would be so amazed to received crochetted squares from Australia. Please send some if you want to. I won't forget you! I'll PM you my address. Hugs, Mary

Everyone keep in mind our basic colors: Blues, Greens, Purples(deep or lavender), Rose and Red. Thanks!

The Amish near here use polyester double knit fabric all the time because of its durability. I don't think they'll have problems with acrylic yarn. Besides, I don't have a store around here that sells natural fiber yarns.

Rose or maroon is fine, but no bright red. The amish in our area don't wear anything bright. They do use any type of fabric or yarn that they can get that is in muted or toned down colors.

Just for the record, I'm going to make some 12" squares in Simply soft - soft lavender and dark soft purple colors. I'll see how many I can whip up in time.

Also, CrochetRN, I am so very sorry for the loss of your cousin. I will keep your family in my prayers. :hug Unfortunately, I just got a call a little while ago today that my last surviving grandparent, my Grandma, passed away. I'm still in shock I think. Feeling quite numb. We are burying her on Monday. I'm hoping that having this crochet work for these afghans will give me something to focus on and provide a distraction -- that I/we can't do anything for the ones who are gone, but maybe in our own simple way we here in this loving internet community of crafters can give some sort of solace to the ones who survived these terrible losses.

I would like to send some squares for this I'll see what colors I have. I just am so amazed by the grace of these people. I heard tonight that the granfather of 1 of the girls that was killed went to the killers house the first night & told the family they all have forgiven the man for what he did. I guess in our daily lives we could be more like these gracious people and forgive people in the same way for the little things they do to us.

Crochet RN & ChicagoHooker I'm so sorry for both of your losses.

I would like to make some squares as well, and I have a friend at work I'm teaching to crochet. So far about all she likes to make is squares so I bet she would like to take part as well. I'll ask her this weekend. Could someone please pm the address etc to me? And, are varigated yarns ok?

BTW, I am so sorry for everyones loss. It is very generous of those who have recently lost loved ones to be thinking of the amish community right now. You are also very gracious people!!:hug

Crochet Hooker, I'm so sorry your Grandma passed away.

On the white/off white squares, can they have very little of other colors in it? Other neutral colors...flecks of color???

Please, no flecks. I guess with variegated, some would be good. I think solid squares would be the easiest to work with. I really won't know what I'm working with until all your beautiful squares start coming in.

Hugs, Mary

Everyone, I've updated post #1.

Chiscrochetcrazy, I didn't know about that visit, but I had heard of the Amish community's gracious forgiveness. It's amazing. It encourages me to be more forgiving to people who have hurt us badly.

Thank you all so very much for your kind words of sympathy. I miss my Grandma very much and am heartbroken that I didn't have a chance to say goodbye to her. She was warm, caring, yet feisty with a wicked sense of humor in a way that made her seem so ageless to me. Thankfully, I have so many fond memories of time with her.

At this point, I'm still rather numb. I've cried, but it hasn't quite hit me yet. I fear that all the emotions will come rushing in on Monday when we bury her.

Ironically, just at the moment she died (unbeknownst to me) I was at the bookstore looking at the dust jacket of Mitch Albom's new book For One More Day, which poses the question, "What if you had one more day with someone you'd lost?" It's about a man who has one more day with his deceased mother.

I think that the fact that I was looking at this book just as my Grandma passed was The Lord's way of reminding me how precious and too short life is -- to treat every day with loved ones as though it will be your last day with them -- to leave behind all anger, hurt, resentment, wounds and never take love for granted. :manyheart

God bless everyone here, especially Mary, who are taking the time to make these afghans as a way to extend their love and compassion to the (very brave) families who lost their little girls in this tragedy. It's keeping and honoring our collective sense of community as Americans and human beings that will help us all rise above the evil that challenges us each day. :hug

(and thanks for listening to my rant!)

Chicago Hooker, I am so sorry to hear about your Grandma. I am closer to my Grandma than I am my own father, my heart would be broken. :cry

I have two 12" squares done so far (a medium-dark lavendar), and two 6" squares done (cornflower blue), plus I am working on more 6" squares (light lavendar). I'm trying to get as many done as I can. :hook

Tina

Alisha, send it the way it is. I'll edge it with something similar to the squares I connect it to. :hug

Is there anyone here who asked for my address and didn't get it yet? I'm trying to stay on top of things.

Mary

Mary,

I will put together squares for the Robert's family(the shooter). Anyone that wants to contribute a square or two pm me and I'll give you my address. I think 6" or twelve" squares would be great for this one as well. I don't think that the colors will matter as much in this one. I would like to make it large enough so that maybe his wife and kids can all snuggle together for comfort. Thank you!

Salos:

Three squares (Burgandy, Navy and Dark Green - 12") in today's mail with remaining skeins for joining.

Denny:

Will send a few more squares later this week for Robert's family Comfortghan. I have a pretty full week with work and my daughter is in the Nutcracker this year. She has already started rehearsals, so I can crochet during rehersals. Will the end of this week for these squares be soon enough?

Also, please PM me with where to send them. Thanks!!

Hi to everyone!

I would love to help out with this also by crocheting some squares. I am thinking of 12 inch squares unless I find a different 6 inch pattern.

I used to live in Harrisburg, PA before we moved down here to FL last year. We used to visit all over the Lancaster area many times. My heart goes out to all the families involved.

I sent a PM to Mary already to ask for address; and also sent PM to Denise because I want to help on that also for the Roberts family.

Hi to everyone!

I would love to help out with this also by crocheting some squares. I am thinking of 12 inch squares unless I find a different 6 inch pattern.

Hey Jen! Thanks for adding your talents to this effort! If you, or anyone else are looking for some good 6" patterns, there are some great links on Martha's site: http://home.inreach.com/marthac/6squares.html A lot of them are pretty fancy, but there are quite a few simple designs there as well, such as these: http://home.att.net/~susanBinKC/patterns/squares6.html

I posted off my squares today. I made 4 12" squares in rose and in forest green and 4 6" squares in the same colour.

I posted them via air mail and was told it would take 7-10 working days to arrive, I hope they get there in time. Although it was the more expensive option, it was much preferable to sending via sea mail which would take 3 months!!!

Anyways a big thank you to Mary for organising this and putting all the squares together. :)

Archived