Amish tragedy

salos

November 21 -- the box is sent with 12 full size afghans and one child's ghan. Thank you all!!!!!!!

Over in "other topics" we've been talking about making comfortghans for the Lancaster Pennsylvania community which suffered such a terrible loss this week.

I would be glad to assemble squares and send them to the church Jimmie Lu mentioned. Let's use the colors Kathy suggested:

the appropriate colors would be darks and lights of basic colors, nothing loud. Blues, Greens, Purples(deep or lavender), Rose and Red.

Here are some Amish designs to give you an idea of what we're aiming for.

http://206.204.3.133/dir_nii/nii_esprit.html

Please, no flecked yarn, and variegated only as an accent. (If you already made variegated squares for this, please send them! Sorry it's taking me a while to get organized.)

Acrylic yarn: RH Super saver, RH TLC, and Caron Simply Soft are good.

Standard 12" and 6" squares will be fine. When in doubt, make it smaller. It will be easier for me to add than to take off from a square.

Please, no knots showing. Work your loose ends in at least 3 - 4".

Please leave 18" (for 6" squares) to 30" (for 12" squares) of yarn for joining. If you already have squares without tails, no problem. Send them as they are!

Deadline: Nov. 1st. This will give the overseas crocheters time to get squares to me.

PM me for my address and we'll get started. Thank you all so much, Mary

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said 6" squares, too right? :think

I was thinking I could finally get some use out of my 200 Crochet Blocks book. So far I have two darkish lavendar 12" squares.

Tina

Yes, you can definitely count me in, as I was the one who started the other post. I will mention though, please no fancy squares, you might want to note that. Just plain jane granny squares, or plain stitched. Living around and knowing amish families, they do crochet, but never any fancy things. The colors that were suggested are perfect. Will make up 12" squares. Please PM or email me with info on where I'm to send squares. Bless you all.

Another question, since Wanda Kay said that about nothing fancy. (I knew that, but...) Does this one seem all right? Or too fancy? :think I was thinking it would be okay but when you said 'Plain Jane', I started to worry.

Tina

Another question, since Wanda Kay said that about nothing fancy. (I knew that, but...) Does this one seem all right? Or too fancy? :think I was thinking it would be okay but when you said 'Plain Jane', I started to worry.

Tina

That's a pretty, but not too splashy pattern (and kind of evokes an image of a cross too). It would be nice if we could come up with a uniform pattern to use so that the afghans don't look too.......um.............gaudy. :eek

Can we use Red Heart yarn, or should we use natural fibers? I have some lovely country blue Red Heart that I'm not using for anything else that would be good for this, if acrylic is okay.

I like the caring hearts square a lot.

Mom W a Motif, yes, 6" squares are welcome.

Would a square with a cross be okay?

You are all helping me recover from the shock of these events. Your love is so sweet.

Mary,

Is acrylic okay to use, or should it be natural fibers?

Do you want the ends woven in, or kept long for joining?

Just want to make sure we're all on the same page.

Thanks,

Jen

p.s. I like the Caring Hearts pattern, previously mentioned here -- Drew's (The Crochet Dude) Maggie's Square pattern is

nice and simple too, yet the XDC gives it thickness and texture.

okay, I started last night, just making simple old fashioned granny squares in acrylic - country blue and white.

Is that okay? They are 6 inch squares.

Let's go with acrylic yarn. Most Red Heart super saver skeins are great. The last white I bought was rough, but most are wonderful. RH TLC is very nice.

Go ahead and leave a some yarn for joining, about 18" for 6" squares and about 30" for 12" squares. If you have squares with no tail, don't worry about it!!!!!!!

When in doubt, let the squares be a little on the small size rather than too large. It's a lot easier for me to add to a square than to take away!

I agree that Drew's "Maggie's Square" is great, and would work fine for this project.

Tina, I love country blue. :hug I can't wait to see your lovely squares. White is good as well. I esp. like country blue and white together.

With the afghans I'll include a letter explaining that we are sort of in the habit of making decorative squares, and to please forgive us if anything is too fancy. We're not putting on airs, just showing love. I think they'll understand.

Denny is sending off white squares for the family of the man who caused this tragedy. Anyone who wants to send some to add to this comfortghan will be welcome. See page 5.. please send squares for the Roberts family to Denny. Thanks!

Love you all, Mary

Okay, I'll do 10 Country Blue and White granny squares (one for each girl) and then four white squares, a little more fancy, for the other family.

You are handling the Amish family, Mary and Denny is handling the other family, right?

Here are some more squares that are not too too fancy. I haven't tried them all, but they look like they would work.

Panda's manly square and E Zee V Zee available at http://pandacrochet.8m.com/index.html

You can go here to check out all of Dayna's 12" squares. Some are too fancy, but some are simple. I really like the way she has the website set up for easy viewing.

http://dayna.tdgservices.com/patterns.asp

I have several squares that are left over from donations for an afghan I made for my cousin with cancer (she died yesterday around 11 a.m.) They are 12" squares and I will be glad to send them.

Where do I mail them?????

CrochetRN:manyheart

I have several squares that are left over from donations for an afghan I made for my cousin with cancer (she died yesterday around 11 a.m.) They are 12" squares and I will be glad to send them.

Where do I mail them?????

CrochetRN:manyheart

I'm sorry for your loss. :hug:

I need some clarification for these comfortghans. I started a solid color plain shell square last night - very boring.

1) do they need to be solid colors, or would you like mixed colors as long as they are not flashy?

2) I'm guessing from reading through that it doesn't have to be a plain - just shells square, and that some of the other patterns are ok as long as they're not intricate.

3) I'm using Caron Simply Soft - is that ok?

I'd like to send as many as I can manage to make, but I'm not sure about design and single color.

Caron Simply Soft is great. I'm new at all this, but my guess is that if we keep things somewhat non flashy, it will be okay.

I think that I maybe just now lost a PM. If anyone sent me a PM and doesn't get a reply, Sorry! Try again.

Theworm asked if there's a deadline, and the answer is no, not really. I'll keep everyone posted on our progress.

CrochetRN I'm so sorry about your cousin. :cry

:hug :hug :hug

Mary thank you so much for the links, I have been wondering. This will help a lot! Here is a whole page of 12" comfortghan squares, too- Heartmade Blessings. Not all of them will work, but some of them will.

Tina

Can we use Red Heart yarn, or should we use natural fibers? I have some lovely country blue Red Heart that I'm not using for anything else that would be good for this, if acrylic is okay.

Yes -- I was wondering the same thing. Do you think the community prefers natural fibers?

Beth

Everyone keep in mind our basic colors: Blues, Greens, Purples(deep or lavender), Rose and Red. Thanks!

The Amish near here use polyester double knit fabric all the time because of its durability. I don't think they'll have problems with acrylic yarn. Besides, I don't have a store around here that sells natural fiber yarns.

I understand the colors, but what about variegated of the colors?

Examples: Rose, country blue and white variegated.

Blue variegated...

On the white/off white squares, can they have very little of other colors in it? Other neutral colors...flecks of color???

Also, can I attach a small note for the families to the squares? Just something like "Thinking of you" and my name and where I'm from.

Can you PM me with the address to send them to?

Hi, Christina,

Here are some Amish designs to give you an idea of what we're aiming for.

http://206.204.3.133/dir_nii/nii_esprit.html

That's the best link, but these are also interesting:

http://secure.wideworld.net/catalog/quilt/

http://www.nmia.com/~mgdesign/qor/styles/amish/amish.htm

Whatever you loving people send me will be terrific. :hug

I think notes would be great!

Mary

Archived