shawl sizes?

sandyrepope

Question

I've got a bit of a problem. I'd like to make my sil's mother a rectangle shawl. When I ask my sil what size would fit her mother all she told me was XL.

Does anyone know just what the dimensions are for XL? I really can't start on the shawl until I get an idea about how long and wide it should be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

7 answers to this question

:cheer I think a Shawl should not come too far past the elbows when sitting nicely up on the shoulders.

This way, when you need to use your hands, there is not so much to bunch up over the arm.

A larger person does not necessarily need a larger Shawl because it may make them look larger.

If it is smaller and made of soft yarn, it can be used as a scarf or shawl.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I've been searching and so far I'd have to say that there doesn't seem to be any kind of standard as far as sizes goes. I would measure the woman but I'm afraid that then the shawl wouldn't be a surprise.

Has anyone found any guide lines about sizing shawls?

Thanks

Hi Sandy

I've been thinking about this. . . this is only a guess but might perhaps give you a starting point. . .

I think I'd first look through a few patterns online or in your stash and find a shawl that looks and fits the way you want yours (the amount of drape, how much length there is hanging for the wearer to "fling", etc.) Then, assuming the pattern is designed to look that way on a medium-large size, say bust 36-40in, add extra to the length/width (depending on which way round it's crocheted) to accommodate the larger lady's bigger round-the-shoulders measurement.

I'm not familiar with US sizes, but if XL is the same as 1X, the measurement chart here says it is 44-46in bust. So you might add 6in to the pattern dimension, and perhaps also another couple of inches to allow for chubbier upper arms?

As I say this is only a guess, but I hope it might help. Bear in mind that shawls are usually worked loosely and are pretty forgiving, so you wouldn't want to add too much.

Smiles,

I am not exactly sure if this will help but I used this pattern http://caron.com/projects/ft/summer_shawl.html to make my mom a shawl and the finished item looked like it would be big enough to fit an extra large....she has the shawl but moved so hasn't got to try it on yet.....I will post pics as soon as she sends some

Measure from the nape of the neck (in the back) over the shoulder, down the arm to 1-2 inches past the elbow. This will give you the width of the rectangle. For women this is usually 23-23" but taller women will have longer arms and wider shoulders. For the length it should be at least 60" unless she is extremely short. I try to make them the person's height plus a few inches. Try wrapping a blanket around their shoulders like a shawl to get an idea of the best length. You want it long enough to wrap from elbow to elbow, arms extended with 8-12" to hang down over the arm so it doesn't fall off.

Archived