Crocheting in the Round?

birdlady1

Question

I imagine everyone has seen those crochet sets -- two hooks attached to wire, PVC, or something similar -- I assume for crocheting in the round?

I was going to use my Joann's coupon on a set but decided to wait until I learned what they can be used for.

Does anyone have any experience or patterns to share so I can learn what these sets are used for? Thanks for your help!

4 answers to this question

If they have crochet hooks on the end then they're for tunisian crochet so that you can tunisian crochet in the round.

Regular old crochet doesn't need anything special to crochet in the round. You just chain, join the beginning and ending chains with a slip stitch and crochet in the loop that's made. You keep joining and chaining up and crocheting like normal except that you have to increase every once in a while to keep the object flat.

Now if the needles on the end of the plastic wire were knitting needles, then yes those are used to knit large objects and to knit in the round. Knitting is a much more two dimensional needlecraft than crochet. We crocheters can just chain off into space and start doing all sorts of crazy stuff. Tunisian crochet is more like knitting. It uses a long hooked needle and the crocheted fabric stays on the needle like knitting work does.

Thanks, shebear! I learned to knit with those "turbo" needles a few months ago. (I doubt I'll continue my education in knitting as I prefer crocheting sooooo much more!) But I also just learned the tunisian stitch to test out embroidering.

So these crochet hooks with the "wire" would be for crocheting in the round with the tunisian stitch? I'm not sure I need any more bad habits!

These can also be used like those crochet hooks that have a hook on both ends.

I have one like you have with the wire in the middle somewhere around here.

Hope this helps.

Corky

These can also be used like those crochet hooks that have a hook on both ends.

I have one like you have with the wire in the middle somewhere around here.

Hope this helps.

Corky

Thanks, Corky. I haven't figured out what to do with those contraptions with hooks at both ends! (I have a few I picked up at the thrift store though.) I'm an old lady so I should be grateful I was able to retain the tunisian stitch in my head!:lol

Will the usual teaching websites have something about the double-hooked hooks (and the ones with the wire in the middle)? I guess I should look, rather than just ask:P .

Archived