What do you think? A cream & white afghan?

What do you think of the combination of cream and white in an afghan? Will it look classy and clean? Or boring? Or, worse, will it look weird and clashing?

The afghan is for an all-white bedroom with wood floors and dark furniture, but NO other colors. All white seemed boring to me, but... I'm not sure about cream & white. You don't usually see those colors together.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!! :)

I think you need to be careful about combining white and an "off" white color. If it's the "right" eggshell, beige, cream, etc. it can look nice. But it can tend to look like you've forgotten to get all of the same dye lot of white, or as if some of the yarn got dirty. Remember, there isn't just one white. Unless you hold several different brands/types of white next to each other, you may not notice that some have a bluish tinge, while others have an ecru tinge. I've even seen some that have a grey tinge. Try something small with your idea first, like a pillow and see what you think. If you like it, then go for it.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/Coronet.html

check out this doily pattern. Imagine it done in your cream and white. it is designed for white and ecru anyway. it is about 26.5 inches in crochet cotton so could go up to as much as 106 inches (8 feet) But there are lots of places to stop. It would be WoW!

You know...My sister suggested that when I found myself in the predicament when Walmart stopped selling mainstays in the middle of my project.

I just couldn't do it. I had a solid navy and solid offwhite Granny square thing going on...I just didn't see the white working with it. I guess it would depend on the project. (Mine is still sitting waiting for me to make up my mind.):think

I think it could look classy and elegant if done right - be sure to pick your colors in natural light to make sure they really compliment each other and I'd pick a simple pattern, but that's just me.

I think it could be beautiful if you pick the right shades that complement each other. Also, maybe if one of the yarns has a different texture to it than the other, it might be really elegant looking.

I think as long as you've got enough of a contrast between the two, it'll look great. I agree w/mudpie that you want to be careful of having one of the yarns look dingy when compared to the other. I also agree with the idea of using one of the colors as an accent.

You know...My sister suggested that when I found myself in the predicament when Walmart stopped selling mainstays in the middle of my project.

I had that happen to me. I was working on a red black and white checkerboard afghan using the mainstays yarn. I bought what the pattern called for but ended up needing more. For me the red was what a ran out of, I found a really close match, close enough that I am the only one who noticed it. Other crocheters would probably notice, but was for my daughter who was just happy that it was something I made for her.

Valerie

Actually, Empress, both of the yarns in my afghan were pure white, AND the same brand. One of them had a pearly thread running through it and it photographed looking "off" white. But the article itself didn't look like that. Probably the lighting. But it does make an argument for really looking at the colors together in different lighting to see what might occur.

Actually, Empress, both of the yarns in my afghan were pure white, AND the same brand. One of them had a pearly thread running through it and it photographed looking "off" white.

I know, that's why I posted that it wasn't what I thought. :lol

I'm with darski, I really like it Mudpie. I like that white on white look. :)

I'd either go with the white with like a baby coordinates type yarn white with a pearly thread going through it. or else white with an accent color. Maybe a beige of some sort? Keeping it neutral. If they have wood anywhere in the room, could matche the color to the wood.

Hey Laurie!

I was looking through my crochet books last night & found an example of an afghan made in white/cream/neutral colors. It's in the "Cozy Crochet" book by Melissa Leapman (I bought mine at Barnes & Noble) The pattern is called Classic Ripple Blanket & it's made with Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick yarn. There's a great photo with the pattern, and the blanket is really lovely! Even if you can't find the book, you could go to the store, pull out these colors & see how you like them...

Here are the colors for the Lion Brand yarn:

Wheat #402

Fisherman #099

White #100

Good luck with your project !

L-A

I think maybe we need to consider what colour "Cream" is.

It runs a very broad gamut as well. It can be a pale - winter white- through ivory and even into pale Yellow. What cream would we be talking about? hmmmmnnn

I agree cream can be several differnt colors, it's never winter white. It's in the off-white family.

Winter white is white. Although white also is several different colors. LOL

Just go for it. Put a white and an off white together until you find two you like the looks of then work it up. I bet it'll be prettier than you expect. :)

Lauri B,

You could always use the white, offwhite and just a tiny bit (maybe sc rows every so often) with the floor or furniture color (or lighter version of it)?! ;)

I am glad that this question came up because I am making that doily I linked to and it is really neat. It is the only project that is actually working out for me just now.

I am at row 15 and it is 24 inches wide right now. (I am using ww with a 7.mm hook) It is really easy and really nice so far (15 rows out of 76 - what's not to love)

I am actually wishing that I had a 'colour' that I could use beside the white. ah well. c'est la vie

I

think you need to be careful about combining white and an "off" white color. If it's the "right" eggshell, beige, cream, etc. it can look nice. But it can tend to look like you've forgotten to get all of the same dye lot of white, or as if some of the yarn got dirty.

This is my feeling too. I've tried to combine cream and white pillows once and the cream pillows always looked dirty. I like the ideas about using the white shot through with a silver thread or even trying a pale gray instead of the cream. Just my opinion FWIW.

Thank you all for the fabulous ideas - you really have given me a lot to think about! After reading several messages, I stopped at Joann's today to check out the whites/off whites, and you all are certainly right! Ecru looks dirty and gray next to pure white. Aran and cream can look yellow. Beiges and tans vary from brand to brand. Even whites vary in color between brands! I think sticking with mostly white and then accenting with either a carefully chosen cream or tan, or (loved this idea!!!!) accenting with a glittery or fuzzy white and changing texture but keeping the white color. That sounds very modern. I liked the lion brand woolease white variations and the white matched the lion pound of love worsted, so I think I'll keep my eyes open for the next time Lionbrand is on sale at Joann. It seems to go on sale every month or so, so it shouldn't be a long wait.

I think the naturals/whites are very big now, I'd love to see a whole book of "natural" color yarns. I think there's a new one out for knitting.

hugs,

Archived