Why CAN"T I HDC in a circle w/o this problem?

crochetbycharlene

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi charlene

Your baby sweater is lovely!

This is what I do: work your first stitch of the round in the same stitch as your ch-2. When you've completed the round and come to it again, join into the first stitch and just ignore the chain. Then do your ch-2, hdc into the same space and continue round.

You might also want to have a look at this thread for some other ideas.

Hope this helps! Let us know how you get on.

Smiles,

Aww, sweetheart, don't let it put you off. . . have a look at hook_and_hype's picture tutorial (the link is in that thread I mentioned) and you'll see what I was talking about the same method as corky). Then try it out on a little sample; that will give you confidence for the sweater!

Edited to add: I can't quite see in the picture, but did you have to increase on the sleeves by working 2 stitches into the first stitch of the previous round? If so, Aggie May came up with a marvellous answer here.

Smiles,

Dont chain up...just mark the spot where you started off the sleeve with a stitch marker or a piece of yarn that's a different color than what you're using so that you know where you're at, and then just do your half doubles without chaining up.

I know how you feel; I've been trying to solve the same problem. I tried all the methods suggested here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34189 and while I can get them to work for sc and dc, something about the hdc gives me the same thing you're seeing. Maybe it's because the hdc is a bulkier stitch? I sure hope somebody has an idea for you!!!

:cheer Crochetbycharlene,

If you turn at the end of each row, your sleeves will look like the yoke and the join line will go stgaight.

I have just tried a wee bit and it does work.

My camera is away until tomorrow so I cant take a picture right now but maybe you can try a wee bit like I did, with about 20CH joined into a ring then carry on from there for a few rows.

I never did like HDCs or as we call them HTRs because they were hard to figure out sometimes.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived