Misc beginner questions

amalapert

Question

1. Working ends in - I know how to finish off the yarn by pulling it through the loop on hook. But it seems that my tails are always showing in every piece of work I do. I can't EVER find them in anyone else's work. What am I doing wrong? Is there a special technique? I usually just weave it in and out of existing thicker areas of stitching with a needle.

2. What does PAT mean? I've seen it mostly in older instructions, I think. As in:

Row 2: 1 sc in ch-1 space, * ch 1, 1 sc in next ch-1 space, repeat from * across, end last sc in turning-ch, ch 2, turn. Counting turning-ch as first sc & ch-1 space, there are 26 (31-35) sc & 25 (30-34) ch-1 spaces. Repeat Row 2 for pat, working 2 more rows with A for first stripe.

3. I have a couple really large hooks that don't have the size printed on them. Is there any easy way of determining their correct sizes?

I think that's all for now.

Thanks!

Laurie

10 answers to this question

"pat" just stands for pattern, as in, the visual design (so, repeat row two to establish pattern). Sometimes directions will tell you to "work 24 rows in pat" which means, say one unit of the design takes 4 rows, you repeat that 6 times.

Craft stores sell cards that will help you with sizing those hooks; I've stopped worrying too much about the printed size, and just try several different hooks for gauge, if it's a project where gauge matters.

I'm new at crocheting too but my tails don't show. I weave forward a couple stitches then go back one stitch, weave forward a couple more, go back one, etc. Then I reverse it and go back over what I just did, but in the opposite direction. This secures the tail so it doesn't move.

Then I push the needle through at least an inch's worth of loops at once (not in and out) and clip my yarn.

This is probably overkill but since I have no clue how to repair a project that has come unraveled, I figure I'll secure my tails like Fort Knox. :D

Pushing the needle through an inch or two worth of loops at once (after weaving) completely hides my tails.

I hope this helps.

No, it doesn't work it's way out but...hmmm....how to explain... like the very tip end seems to poke out of something somewhere. Is there a way to cut it off so the tip is in the middle of a stitch or something? Maybe I only see it on my work because I know exactly where it is. LOL

Some of Mine do it too and I have crocheted for 22 years lol

No, it doesn't work it's way out but...hmmm....how to explain... like the very tip end seems to poke out of something somewhere. Is there a way to cut it off so the tip is in the middle of a stitch or something? Maybe I only see it on my work because I know exactly where it is. LOL

I have yet to weave in any ends I'm going to wait till I'm done wiht my gahn to start weving anything in, I might find that this is not the way to do this after I am done and will then change my technique on my next ones. I've been thinking about posting how to do this cause no where in the books or anything does it tell you how to do it, it just says to do it.

For the ends, I don't weave in-and-out so much as in the middle, between the fronts and backs of the stitches. Then I usually cut so that a little bit is sticking out. Then I pull gently on the fabric so the cut end eases in and I can't see it.

Of course after I wash it, sometimes I see more ends. So I just trim them again!

Archived