Yarn ball Winder or Swift Yarn Winder?

I was wonder a few things...

1...What is the difference?

2...Which works better?

I have a torn rotator cuff and winding ball after ball just about kills me. So I thought maybe a winder would be good...but looking I really did not know what to buy, so thought I would ask you wonderful people your thoughts on it.

Thanks

They are two different items.

A swift is used when winding hanks. (A hank is a long circular winding of yarn (think garden hose). Most handspun and some manufactured yarns are sold in this form.) You can use a swift when winding by hand or with a mechanical winder. Example of one type of yarn swift.

A yarn winder is used to create center-pull flat balls of yarn. You can wind left-over skeins or hanks or yarn in any form with a yarn winder. It can be tiring if doing alot, but is much faster than winding by hand. Example of one type of yarn winder. Most yarn winders are the same, look for the best price and buy it.

Yes, a swift and ball winder ,used together as above writer says, do make short work of winding balls, and you get nice little flat "tuna fish can " shaped balls that do not roll around when you pull yarn from them. The swift adjusts to the size of your skein,and then you just turn a crank and the balls roll up quick as a wink.

I got mine on Ebay for much less than the on-line sites or my local yarn store.

I got a great swift on eBay, too, for much less than the prices I was seeing... it's not an 'accordian' style thing, but just something some guy came up with for his wife that works perfectly.

I'll see if I can find the link... http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Oak-Yarn-Swift-Winder_W0QQitemZ140035256097QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1362QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the one I got and it works great and is adjustable by moving the 'pegs' into different holes...

And the ball winder I got also from eBay, just a standard thing, nothing fancy, and it does make them like tuna cans... never thought of it that way... and it's a center pull skein and that makes it very cool cause the yarn just sits there very stable...

Good combo, the yarn swift and ball winder!

I'll see if I can find the link... http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Oak-Yarn-Swift-Winder_W0QQitemZ140035256097QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1362QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the one I got and it works great and is adjustable by moving the 'pegs' into different holes...

That looks pretty simple. Hmmmmm, Wonder if my hubby can make one. :scrachin Guess I will have to put it to him!

I ordered the winder that SmartCat posted the link for and it just arrived yesterday. And to quote MissUSA, "It is the work of GOD!!!" I went home last night and wound a whole bunch of "leftovers" into cakes. And what a deal I got. I used the 50% off coupon for Joann's, and I found a $25 Visa gift card that I got from my co-workers for my birthday and had forgotten I had, so after tax and shipping I was only $7 out of pocket. It's something I've been wanting for years and couldn't justify - 'cause my arms still work, LOL. But I am so glad that I bought it.

Check out this thread, for making your own yarn swift. I saved the file, but I haven't gotten around to showing my BF. I should just make one myself. :)

:ty:clap I showed the other picture to my dh and he said it looked pretty easy to make. This should make it super simple for him. :cheer

Thanks for all the great advice. Going to have to get them. Might make the swift though...I am pretty handy with wood also...Will post pictures when I am done...Off to Home Depot!

Archived