HELP! crochet cable! totally confused.

Crafty_Boy_13

Question

so,

being the hopeless romantic that i am i'm making my girlfriend an afghan for christmas.. the specific pattern is the February afghan from the Leisure Arts pamphlet A Year of Afghans, Book 13.

in the pattern (besides the beautiful hearts) there is cabling.. the description for which is: (direct copy from book)

Front Post Double Crochet (abbrv. FPdc)

this part i understand, so i cut it out

Beginning Cable (uses 3 dc)

Work FPdc around next 2 dc, working in front of 2 FPdc just made, work FPdc around dc before first FPdc made. Skip 3 sc behind Cable.

Cable (uses 3 FPdc)

Skip next FPdc in row below next sc, work FPdc around next 2 FPdc, working in front of 2 FPdc just made, work FPdc around skipped FPdc. Skip 3 sc behind Cable.

so... if anyone can help me understand this the help is greatly appreciated...

im gonna ask my mom (because she taught me and might know) but i thought i'd cover all my bases and ask you ladies and gents as well...

thanks in advance,

Crafty Boy 13

2 answers to this question

so,

Beginning Cable (uses 3 dc)

Work FPdc around next 2 dc, working in front of 2 FPdc just made, work FPdc around dc before first FPdc made. Skip 3 sc behind Cable.

I think this should read:

"skip one dc, FPdc around the following 2 dc, then working in front of the FPdc just made, work FPdc around the skipped dc. Skip the 3 sc that are above the dc that are used for the cable."

Cable (uses 3 FPdc)

Skip next FPdc in row below next sc, work FPdc around next 2 FPdc, working in front of 2 FPdc just made, work FPdc around skipped FPdc. Skip 3 sc behind Cable.

Here you are making FPdc around stitches that are 2 rows down. Just like above you are skipping the first stitch in the cable, making FPdc around the next two stitches, then working in front you will go back and make a FPdc around the stitch that you skipped.

If you just take it one stitch at a time you'll have no problem! :yes

thanks in advance,

Crafty Boy 13

:bounce

thanks so much Crochet Dude!

glad to see theres another guy on the forums.

my mom said she knows how to do it as well... but thank you! im sure it will help in some way...

ill have to post pictures of it once im done of course...

altho i dont expect that to be soon, considering i have school and work and what-not.

thanks again,

Crafty Boy 13

Archived