Aran Afghan Question

Has anyone made the aran afghan pattern on this website?

http://hometown.aol.com/crochetalong/aranghan.html

If you have, was the pattern clear? Is it worked lengthwise or widthwise? How large is the afghan? I am thinking of using Wool-Ease Chunky Thick and Quick yarn, what did you use? Any comments on the pattern?

I had made an aran sweater for my son's greyhound, my daughter saw it, and asked me to make her an aran afghan. I found this pattern and liked it better than the aran squares one on the Lionsbrand site.

Thanks so much. :)

I can't answer all the questions but a quick idea of the size width-wise is to chain 101 stitches - that will tell you how big you would make it.

It does not seem to be that large in length if you consider that half of it only covers the back of the rocking chair - what... maybe 24 inches(Xs 2 =48 in for length).

This is definitely worked lengthwise. It is very pretty, and kudos to you for doing it. Aran designs are always so appealing. As for yarn, IMHO, I would not use a thick and thin yarn for it. I would use something with an even thread. You could try swatching it, and see if you like it. Thick and thin yarn is nice for some items, but on something like this, where the stitch detail defines the pattern, you might be better with something else.

What a gorgeous pattern!

The only info I could find on RH Chunky was at wiseNeedle; it said recommended knit gauge was 15 sts = 4in on #10 (6mm) needles. That would make it a category 5 yarn. Skeins were 5oz containing 232 yards.

According to Lion Brand's website the Wool-Ease T&Q is a category 6 yarn with a recommended knit gauge of 9 sts and 12 rows = 4in on #13 (9mm) needles. It comes in 6oz/106 yard skeins.

So it seems the T&Q is quite a bit heavier than the RH, although this might make it all the better for the afghan! :) The recommended hook size is an N, as in the pattern, too.

Smiles,

Thanks for all the input. I am going to have to decide soon on the yarn.

The afghan as written is probably too small. If I decide to do this one, I will have to add to it.

I have another aran pattern in one of my books, that is done in strips and then crocheted together. It uses two strans of yarn held together.

I have some decisions to make before starting, I guess.

Rosemary, I found this thread (pic on page 2) where Yammy made this afghan in w/w yarn with a J hook. She doesn't say if she added extra stitches and/or panels, but maybe you could ask her? It certainly turned out beautiful!

Smiles,

Hi there!

I doubled the starting chain (201) and then used the RH SS and a J hook, it turned out nice and big.

It's on my couch now just love it! I also fudged a bit and made the middle popcorn area twice as wide to break it up.

Thank you Yammy and Nightowl for the posts about Yammy's afghan. :hug I like the Red Heart flecked and doubling the stitches makes the pattern big enough. It was more of a lapghan, I think, as written.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that afghan is small. I guess it is just to cover a lap. Making two and putting them together is a good idea. I am just finishing an afghan for my son, and starting another for my daughter. After those two, I hope to make the fisherman afghan for my other daughter. There is always a list of things to crochet, and I never get to what I really want to try. :P I would love to see a photo of your's when you finish.

Hi Sue

I'm not Yammy :lol but I thought this might help. Dot has a tutorial here on her blog showing the ribbing technique she uses in her designs. Your afghan uses an sc to join the ribbing to the piece rather than a slip stitch as Dot does, but otherwise the technique is exactly the same.

I hope this might make it easier for you to picture what it is you're supposed to be doing!

Smiles,

Sue, thanks for sharing your picture. I like the blue color you fchose. My dd wants the aran color. I have the yarn , but I cannot start it yet.

I will probably double the chain length as suggested.

ok I wasnt happy with the size so I ripped it apart and I am going to double the amount of starting stitches as recommened, cried while ripping it out too, but I figure If I am going do it right then I need to start again, boo hoo

sue

i made this with RH SS and a J hook, i also doubles the beginning chain and made it for my neices single size bed. it came out great.

Snugs, did you have to alter the width (length when you're crocheting it) too? I can see the sense in doubling the starting chain but wonder if you need to add extra "panels" of textured stitches? I'd like to make this as a napping-on-the-sofa blankie for a male friend but have no idea what size it would come out. . .

I wish the pattern said what the original size was! :huh

Archived