How do you felt?

I was just curious...how do you felt? I've seen lots of really great projects that you all have done, and I am growing to like the felted look on some things. But I've never managed to catch how it's done. So, can anyone tell me, please :D !! Thanks in advance!

Felting is the process by which wool is matted together to make a more solid material. Needle felting is the process by which one continually pokes the fiber with a needle to mat it together while shaping it. Wet felting is achieved by kneading the fiber together by hand (there are other tools to be used when hand felting screens, rolling stickes, brushes) or agitating it in a washing machine or ringer with hot water and soap. Fulling (which most folks refer to as felting) is the act by which you mat together wool yarn that has already been made into an item, using the same process as felting. In order to full you must make your project larger than you want it to be as it will shrink by approximately 1/3. There are many sites that talk about felting and fulling on the internet. Do a search and you will find some good information. Hope this helps.

Archived