Melibean223

Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

I like your very clear instructions on how to start this beast! :yay

I'm thinking about starting one tonight. Just have to figure out what yarn to start with (too much yarn, too little time...)

Hi all, I am still in the process of maiking a GG from my student. If she passes the State exams, she gets it in June. If not, after Summer School in August.Either way it has been a motivation for her to do her homework, classwork and social behavior mods.

Meegan

What a great idea! She's sure to pass.

Wow! 131 pages, 1302 posts! I want to do this, for sure. I have instructions for a rectangular granny and even did a small piece once. BUT the question is: How do you figure how long to make your base chain/piece so that when you reach the desired length, the width isn't off (or vice versa)?

If that has been addressed somewhere in those 1302 (this might be 1303) posts, please let me know what number it is so I can check it out.

Thanks ever so!

Marzee

I'm not sure, so I did a search.

This gives you some answers... Rectangle Granny Question

If someone doesn't know here (I just started it and worried about the finished size later and now it doesn't matter, I'm sure it's for me for the summer:D). You can try in the Crochet Help section and I'm sure there are others who are smarter and know more math then me and can figure it out.

Debbi

Thanks Debbi! I've printed out that section. I will also dig out the rectangle I made (from the Leisure Arts book, I think) a few years back. And do some measurements on it. I know that it's one foot wide... I recall that it was the devil to start and read the directions :think. I frogged it a number of times before it got going.

Oh, and has anyone done a rectangle starting with two or more small (4 rnd) *squares* stitched together as the base?

My mind is going in many directions... I've seen the stitch pattern somewhere for doing just *rows* of the granny stitch, so if the piece looks like it's getting out of proportion, one could just add some rows at the end to make it proportional.

I want to crochet NOW, but, alas, I have to finish my lunch and get back to work.

-Marzee

Glad you figured that out. Here's a link to how to do it in rows:

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa062703.htmhas it for a dishcloth size, but I bet you could figure it out if you wanted to add more rows to a top or bottom part of this rectangle granny. I've done that to a regular square granny years ago, I remember. I think I just started without a pattern and just guessed.

Debbi

Hello Everyone

I have not been around in awhile due to working the tax season, but I did want to give a update I have completed a granny afghan and working on two more. I will post pics soon!!

Hi everyone, still making the rounds for the square for my student. I taught a few students to crochet and they are joining in and helping start, continue or finish a round. So far the word out is that she passed the Social Studies and Reading State Exams, now to wait for the results of the Math:eek

Her weakness. Fingers are crossed and hooks are flying :crocheting

woooooow

those new grannies are wonderful

maybe i`ll make another one hmmmm....

Just wanted to LYK that I finished my student's afghan. Now I have to put a rose in the middle. That's her middle name.

Ok so I haven't posted since MARCH :eek :eek :eek, I know I know how could I! :P But I am happy to report that Giant Granny Square #1 is completed and gifted, not to the person it was intended for. Another cousin of dbf who did recieve #1 is close to us and recently engaged and she absolutely loves it!!! (her shower was this past weekend) if I had my camera cord I would post some pics but since I'm at work and don't you'll just have to wait. :D

I have been MIA since march due to school which ended in June so that headache is gone for the summer and then Vacation which was 2 days after school ended.... crazy busy! but while on vacation I worked my butt off on GGS #2 and she is coming along quite nicely, pics to come as well....

I am so glad so see so many others making progress and I just love all the pics! Keep up the good work girls!!!:clap

WooHoo! I just started a giant granny last night and then came across this CAL this morning. I'm definitely in. I'm sure seeing everyone elses will give me the kick needed to get it done :) I'm not quite sure how large I'm going to make it, guess I just keep going until I want to stop :)

Like I said, I just started it last night, so here's my WIP so far...

th_100_1715.jpg

Just wanted to pop in and let you guys knw that I lurk in here occasionally. Last year I was gifted a HUGE stash of odds and ends from a retired crocheter. I keep thinking that this would be a great scrappy to use up a bunch of it. There is at least half a dozen whites alone, so I'm brainstoming using one of the whites as every other row, and random browns and blues in between. Also, has anyone used a smallish hook to tighten this up, say, a G?

Hi , everyone,I just started this afghan,im doing purple and off white,it was pretty simple to start.

Pam:cheer

WooHoo! I just started a giant granny last night and then came across this CAL this morning. I'm definitely in. I'm sure seeing everyone elses will give me the kick needed to get it done :) I'm not quite sure how large I'm going to make it, guess I just keep going until I want to stop :)

Like I said, I just started it last night, so here's my WIP so far...

th_100_1715.jpg

It looks great. Can't wait to see it when it's bigger. I finished the GG I was working on. I just did one row of sc as a border. I didn't take a picture of it before giving it to my nephew for his 1st birthday. When I get a chance, I'll get a picture of it hopefully with him in it.

Pat A.

Just wanted to pop in and let you guys knw that I lurk in here occasionally. Last year I was gifted a HUGE stash of odds and ends from a retired crocheter. I keep thinking that this would be a great scrappy to use up a bunch of it. There is at least half a dozen whites alone, so I'm brainstoming using one of the whites as every other row, and random browns and blues in between. Also, has anyone used a smallish hook to tighten this up, say, a G?

One thing you can do is just have it all in a bag and just randomly pick one color out of the bag. That way the colors will be random. On the GG I just finished I used skipper blue and aran only. I think I started out with a G hook, then put it down for a long time, picked it up and forgot what hook I used and I think I used a H hook. Then put it down again and when I picked it up again I used a I hook. But when I looked at it I couldn't tell that I used different size hooks on it. lol Oh, and another thing, I hate my granny squares too holely, or too much holes in it. lol So at the corners I only ch 1 in between the 3 dc's. And along the sides I don't chain anything between the 3 dc clusters. Do I make sense? lol

Pat A.

Hello! I was wandering through my "new posts" lists and saw this. I have spent the last few weeks working on a rectangle granny square blanket for my next baby girl who is due in August. I don't have any in progress pictures, but I am using Caron Simply Soft in a rose, country blue, and plum (?-a darker shade of purple). It won't be huge, but I want it to at least be crib sized. It's kind of slow going b/c I have a 3.5yr old, 1.5 yr old and a book club book that I haven't started yet that is supposed to be read by 7/1. Looking forward to seeing what ya'll are working on.

hi! i've made three huge granny square afghans in the last two months. two are exactly that, just one big ol huge granny square, round upon round upon round, with extra rows added across the top where the pillows are cuz, dudes, beds are not square! and the other one was a king sized afghan made of nine large squares done in fun tropical colors, bright, just like the person i made it for, bright, colorful, and sunny. i prefer either one HUGE granny square or joining as i go, cuz it just seems faster to me and more fun to do, and pretty. grins, debra

crochet002.jpg

i started this a month ago so i figured i would join this cal:clap i am making it for dh most likely its going to go on a queen size bed so i will be working on this forever:eek anyway every ones grannys looks great i cant wait to see more:hug

does anyone else have a problem with the GG spiraling on them the larger it gets? I did one recently and had to frog it and start from scratch and turn every row instead of doing it in the round

Starting a rectangle for the OLympic crochet. Anyone else doing something?:crocheting

Beautiful afghans so far! I love the blues one because I love blue.

I think a scrap one would look great. I wonder if a real scrapy one would be nice, you know just use up yarn and when you run out, even in the middle of a row, start a new color. But having one color each round would be great too. And having a base color used often, like white, would work too. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

does anyone else have a problem with the GG spiraling on them the larger it gets? I did one recently and had to frog it and start from scratch and turn every row instead of doing it in the round

I think that's how people solved the problem. I haven't had the problem on my WIP. Mines a rectangle and I make sure I join evenly.

Starting a rectangle for the OLympic crochet. Anyone else doing something?:crocheting

I'm not too familiar with the olympic crochet, but isn't that where you're making something in the same amount of time as the olympics? This seem like an ambitious project (to me, mine's been a wip forever:blush), but we can cheer you on:cheer

Debbi

Edited by Debbi-a1

I'm not too familiar with the olympic crochet, but isn't that where you're making something in the same amount of time as the olympics? This seem like an ambitious project (to me, mine's been a wip forever:blush), but we can cheer you on:cheer

Debbi

You're right Debbi, it has to be a challenge for you. I am actually trying to do 2 lapghans in the 17 days. Now I am really trying to go for the Gold!

Go TEAM SENIORS & TEAM Brooklyn:cheer

I think that's how people solved the problem. I haven't had the problem on my WIP. Mines a rectangle and I make sure I join evenly.Debbi

well, I think I've figured it out...it's not that I don't join evenly - I think the bottoms of my stitches are crocheted tighter than the tops and THAT causes the square to turn!

here's the two I did:

th_A006.jpg

th_AImage011.jpg