We don't need no stinkin ponchos

:eek

This article was linked from another post about the strange grip but I noticed this paragraph near the end:

For those whose skill levels are more advanced, the hot trends for the coming year will continue to include ponchos and wraps, sweaters and scarves, hats and purses. For everyone who crochets, there is a wide variety of tastefully feminine crochet fashions and colorful crochet accessories.

Now, just recently, I saw another article that said that ponchos are not only finished as a crochet item but in fact they only existed as a trend on Yarn Company Pattern pages...

Sooooo, who has the right of it? Are ponchos going to continue or are they a non-existant passe fad?

I haven't actually seen a real person wearing one yet. Maybe I'm just not where the trendy young people are hanging out - yeah that would be about right.

I just made a poncho for myself, using Homespun and a pattern from the CPaD 2006 Calendar. I've gotten loads of compliments so far when I wear it out. Of course, I live in NY, where such things are useful. So for me, ponchos are not out.

PS - The one I just made actually brought me up to 3 ponchos, and my to do list has at least 6 more that I want to make. I suppose it's personal taste. :D

I never paid attention before I started crocheting. But I actually saw somebody wearing a poncho for the first time at work... just last week! Incidentally, I also noticed someone (other than me :hook ) with a shawl on today. I figure with Fall weather just now starting to hit, we'll see if folks still wear them or not.

I have see a few ponchos worn around here lately but they didn't seem really popular in this area even last winter. I haven't ever made or worn one, (even when they were "in" 25 or 30 years ago), but I have made myself a few shawls lately. I haven't worn them out yet, but I intend to.

Well I'm a "rel person" and I wear poncho's and so do the "real people" who have paid me to make poncho's for them. I also make, wear and sell shawls and the sweater shawl hybrid: shawl w/sleeves thingie. Besides if I like something, even a "stinkin poncho" I wear it. Who wants to be a slave to "trends"?

personally I don't care for ponchos -- but I am going to make and wear a shawl this year. I don't see much for winter trends down here in Florida. Our cold season is much too short for that -- or I'm just that far out of touch?! :lol

donna -- you just comfirmed I'm that out of touch!! :rofl

The children wear ponchos. I wear a poncho I made usually over a sleeveless dress (I don't like my upper arms.) They are out there. Perhaps they come and go in different places. I'm sure that in extremely warm climates, they're on the way out or never made it in. In the cooler climates, I'm sure they are cozy. As for NC, the weather is so fickle, ponchos are useful in different thicknesses and textures.

Here in Milan this fall's fashion features lots of ponchos. the trend seems to be really exploding, judging by what i'm seeing in shops. the weather isn't yet cool enough to tell if people will be buying! (have only seen a few women wearing them last year)

In my area ponchos were HUGE for adults, children, and teens a couple of years ago... women were wearing silk ponchos to the office... though I don't care for them either, I did see one female executive wearing a poncho with astonishing (to me) style. Now, the trend was almost completely over when Martha Stewart got out of prison, and then BAM--it was supposedly big again, and ponchos were in the media all the time--but even so, people around here weren't wearing them as much as they had been a few months before. And I agree, shrugs have suddenly exploded in my area as well, though mostly I don't see handmade shrugs.

Well, I live in Florida, and so don't have need of a warm jacket, but often need a little something on cooler mornings. So, I'm making a cotton granny square poncho for my 4 year old, and will make an openwork poncho for myself.

To me, the heavy, blanket type ponchos are old news and not fashionable. But, I've seen some very nice openwork ones, and I think those are nice.

They are more practical than shawls, but there is no reason why you can't make a shawl-type stitch into a poncho.

In my opinion, a well made poncho in pretty colours or with a good design will always be a nice, wearable object.

I haven't made any ponchos yet but I may for next winter, I like the way they look and I think they go very well with certain outfits. I don't care much for so-called 'trends' or fads...there's so much room for change with new yarns, new designs, different colours etc I really don't think you can go wrong :)

-- Michelle

My 30 yo daughter said she wanted one for Christmas this year. :yes She saw one at the fair (won 1st) and liked it! :yarn It's just an open work pattern. That's what I'm working on now. She has NEVER followed the fashion trend. Just wears what she likes. This is the first time she has asked me to crochet her something!:eek

I've made one pocho, sans pattern - I wore it once. it was drafty. I've see a few people wearing ponchos, but not many. Given I work in a city where suits and dress coats are standard equipment, I'm not surprised. (Wraps and shawls are another beast entirely and are wildly popular around here)

I too am tired of the poncho trend. It's a square with a hole in it. It has millions of variations for various skill levels. It's the pattern makers godsend. But can we please move on to include some more interesting things? Like stuff that isn't incompatible with my backpack.

I live in NYC which many say is a fashion capital, and ponchos and shrugs are very popular. The ponchos seem to be waning, but the shrugs aren't. Most of the ones I see aren't hand-made, and not even that nice. Like others have said, I don't much care. I like what I like. :)

Maribel

Archived