Strange grip- interesting article

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=513

I have been pondering this photo for a few days now. At first I thought oh no, the model is knitting. Then I wondered if she was using a tunison hook.

I know this is a trivial thing to ponder but something is a miss here with the the way she is holding the fabric. Do you think it is back to front or what?? I would be interested in what others think.

If you are not too distracted by looking at the photo, I did find the article very interesting as well.

I think she might just be lifting the piece up for the camera, like making sure we can see what she's holding. That's my guess.

I read the article earlier, and it was very interesting.

I think she's holding the work upside down. . !

Pity they couldn't get the Craft Yarn Council's name right in the article; there shouldn't be an "and" in there.

(A sour old sub-editor),

And maybe she's holding the hook on the end, away from where the yarn is, where it looks like she is working on it... :think (Unless it's upside down...) :lol It does look like a crochet hook to me, though.

Tina

Did anyone else notice that the motifs that Lion Brand has been showcasing for a while are all photgraphed on the wrong side when they are first presented?

But then these people are models and photogs, they are not the artistes that we are.... :D

:cheer It is a crochet hook and if you look closely, you can see the white thread coming from the hook to her left hand.

I agree with others, she is just posing because she is possibly a model who does not crochet.

I have no idea what stitch she is doing though but there looks to be a LOT of ends to finish in when she is finished. (Under her right hand.)

They just do what looks good for the camera, forgetting that people who know will pick up the mistake.

I have noticed this happens quite often with crochet & knitting patterns.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

http://www.anniesattic.com/

I think someone at Annies Attic needs a holiday... check out the picture for the patchwork ornaments..... looks like an afghan to me... (lol) when you click on the link the real ornaments appear..

Yup just holding it up for the camera.

The ends may or may not be wove in later. I made a shell that was a differnt color just like that and I wove in the ends.

(with all that effort and they dont een mention the pattern, of course)

It could be a stock photo that they liked how it looked. I've seen many magazines use a photo for more than one article in different issues.

I love "editing" also, once while in Joann's (a few years ago) I notice one of their signs in the yarn section and it stated crochet on the picture were knitting needles.....:eek I quickly pointed it out to one of the gals filling the yarn bins and she quickly told a manager......never did see that sign board again:devil

PS the way the model is holding her hook and yarn is exactly the way I do, however, along with the rest of you...the work is upside down....:eek

Kelly

As Darski suggested, neither the photographer or the model had probably ever seen an actual piece of crochet in progress, and no one was around to show her how to hold the thing to look real. I saw a picture the other day of a ball of yarn with one knitting needle and one crochet hook sticking out of it. It was in a catalog of bed and bath stuff, and was on a table beside a bed made up with the featured sheets. I am sure some photographer's assisstant thought it made the room look authentic and lived-in, but no one told her you can't work with one needle and one hook.

I saw a picture the other day of a ball of yarn with one knitting needle and one crochet hook sticking out of it. It was in a catalog of bed and bath stuff, and was on a table beside a bed made up with the featured sheets. I am sure some photographer's assisstant thought it made the room look authentic and lived-in, but no one told her you can't work with one needle and one hook.

Maybe they were just trying to appeal to both crocheters and knitters.

Considering she said it was selling sheets I doubt they missed their mark. ;)

But we crocheters are everywhere reading everything. You never know when we will pop up and denounce people waving two pointy sticks...or when we ourselves will be found waving two pointy sticks. :lol

I'll agree with the assumption that she is just a model somebody told to "sit here with this hook and yarn in your hand and look like you're having fun, okay?" Also, did anyone notice the background...kinda looks like she's in a mall or something. Do people actually just sit in the mall and crochet? Maybe it would be fun...people watching and all...I guess I've never tried it! Hmmm...

I'll agree with the assumption that she is just a model somebody told to "sit here with this hook and yarn in your hand and look like you're having fun, okay?" Also, did anyone notice the background...kinda looks like she's in a mall or something. Do people actually just sit in the mall and crochet? Maybe it would be fun...people watching and all...I guess I've never tried it! Hmmm...

Hehe I crochet in the Mall! I work in the city and some days id I get a lunch break I take my crochet with me, grab a capacino coffee and sit for a while and relax, and then go back to the salt mine feeling a bit fresher. People often look at me... but I figure they are envious!

Archived