Help with "Antique Pearls" square

Miztiki

Question

I'm going to make a blanket with various granny squares so I can gain the most experience out of one project.

I'm working on this here "Antique Pearls" square:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/pearl.htm

I did round 1.

I've never changed colors before and this is only my second granny square ever.

I joined with a slip stitch at the end of round 1 and the loop is on my hook. I cut the yarn about 6" down. Should I pull the yarn through my loop or how does that work? Then what do I do with the tail?

Then I have questions about how to start with the other color, like do I make a slip knot before working with the new color? If not then how do I go about doing that?

What exactly do they mean by "from the back"? Does that mean I should work into something other than the top two strands that form the "V"? Or do they just mean to turn my work around?

I played with this square last night using one color only and got to round 4 or 5 before going to bed so I know I can do this. I'm just going to need a little help along the way and I really, really appreciate the help I've been given so far, so thank you! I promise to return the favor at some point.

Miz

9 answers to this question

Well, I muddled through and my square looks perfect to me, so I'm happy. I'm darning in the ends now.

If anyone does this square and has the same problems I came across then maybe the following will help.

From the end of round 5:

...join with a dc to the first sc to form the last loop.

and then round 6:

Ch 4 to count as the first trc,...

I tried that last bit of round 5 and did round 6 but that "last loop" wasn't working at all by the time I got back around to it, so instead I just joined with a slip stitch at the end of round 5, then chained 4 as the *first* of my 7 trc's (heck, it's a circle, the corner can start anywhere), then continued on around, finishing with a slip stitch.

I think this is the prettiest square I've ever made in my life!

[Of course I've only made two in my life so far... :D :D :D]

I did round 1.

I've never changed colors before and this is only my second granny square ever.

This is probably a very ambitious second square Miztike.

I joined with a slip stitch at the end of round 1 and the loop is on my hook. I cut the yarn about 6" down. Should I pull the yarn through my loop or how does that work? Then what do I do with the tail?

Work with the loop on the hook and work over the tail as you go arround.

Then I have questions about how to start with the other color, like do I make a slip knot before working with the new color? If not then how do I go about doing that?

As for the rest I would really have to have a go at the pattern.

What exactly do they mean by "from the back"? Does that mean I should work into something other than the top two strands that form the "V"? Or do they just mean to turn my work around?

I am guessing by your name and the taime of day that you are from NZ. If so be wary of American patterns like this one as the terminology is different from what is used in Australia, Britain and NZ. If I am wrong here, then dont worry!

Here it is all done, darned, and everything!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/Miztiki/Sept2006033.jpg

And the pattern is here:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/pearl.htm

I'm right here in Houston, Texas - Home of the Giant Flying Cockroaches! :D

I should have gone to bed a looong time ago but I just had to figure this square out. I think it's a really pretty pattern though, don't you?

as a woman i work with says all the time "you are a braver man than i!"

i have been petrified of squares for over a year and then someone gave me a little push and i'm off.

:cheer :cheer

Archived