How to guesstimate a size?

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, either... I am wondering how do you know how big to make something? Like say a pattern is only up to a size two, but you need to make a size four. How would you (not having the child by you) know how wide/tall you make it? (Does that make sense? :think I hope so...) I want to make this sweater for my niece, but she is a size four... I suppose I could look through magazines to find a general size..... But if anyone knows of an online handy source, that would be so great. :D

Thanks in advance if anyone can help! :hug

Tina

Awesome!! :yay Thank you SOOOO much!!:hug :hug :hug :hug I also am just finishing up a baby sweater (Dots' Cuddle Me Hooded Baby Sweater), and I have NO idea what size it is. I used a smaller hook than called for. So this will help me in more ways than one.

Thanks Nightowl and shebear!! :manyheart

Tina

You can also go to a store and find the cheapest thing in the size you need and buy it (think thirft store - kids clothes for 25-cents!) and then you have an object to compare you work to. Sometimes, especially in kids clothes, the biggest difference is the length of the sleeves. I know when I look at something that says "38-inch circumference" and I have to visualize 19" across and then the length, and then the arms, it just drives me crazy BUT if I actually see the size I want to make it, its so much easier for me. This works well if you're making more than one thinng (baby sweaters for charity, or if you need a size 5 next year you know it just needs to be a little bit bigger)

Hope this helps,

Fran

ps- smiley makes, we need a "measuring smily"

Archived