Need help with curling corners...

tabbyj1

Question

Hello, all!

Well, I've been lurking here for over a year, but just got around to registering :) I'm a mom of 6, expecting #7 in less than 2 months, so I don't get a lot of crochet time ;) Anyway, after the kids are in bed, I have an hour or so, and I've been working on Beth's Little Star afghan. I actually got through probably 30 rounds of it before I frogged it all to start over because I was so disgusted with the way my points were looking. I'm following the pattern exactly, but my first attempt resulted in a lot of 'wavy-ness'--it was like there were too many stitches in the points, even though I was doing the right number, and it was just making the whole thing look all warped.

With my current attempt, I'm crocheting with a size larger hook (because I tend to stitch tightly) hoping that will help. However, after getting to about round 8, the old problem is surfacing once more. Anyone have a clue what I could be doing wrong? I'm using a soft baby yarn with a size H hook now. Would really appreciate any ideas--I'd love to get this done (correctly!) before the baby arrives! :)

Thanks so much,

Tabby

5 answers to this question

I've never done this pattern, so I don't know if this usually happens.

If you're following the pattern correctly and using the right hook / yarn, it might just be the nature of the pattern. Can you flatten out or straighten the points? If they do lay right with a bit of help, maybe all you need to do is wash it and block it when you're done.

-- Michelle

i made that blanket...i made it with sport weight yarn, i dont recall the hook size...but im assuming i used a G....i dont recall having any trouble with the curling points, and i did use "beths little star" pattern....i bet yours will be fine after a washing...good luck!

starblanket11-05.jpg

You know I had this same problem when I used this pattern! I kept trying it and undoing it over and over until I got fed up with it. I put it aside for a while and when I came back I decided I would follow the directions to a TEE and count all of my stitches along the way. Sure enough it worked out as it was supposed to. :cheer I think you should try the counting thing because I realized I was just doing all the stitches up to each point and that may have been where the problem was. Hope this helps and don't give up!

Kimi--

I love the colors you used and the blanket turned out soooo cute! Thanks for posting that pic :)

tee-dee,

I have been counting the stitches and everything adds up ok. I guess I did have a question about one thing, though. After I do the shell in the ch-2 space at each point, do I do a stitch in that first dc immediately following? From the way the pattern reads, I think I do, but at first I thought it was weird because it looks like the shell plus an extra dc are all in that ch-2 space, ya know? But I'm skipping the 2 dc in each 'valley' and everything, and it looks like a star, just not totally flat. I *can* flatten it out and make it look nice lying on the couch or wherever. I wasn't sure if washing would make a difference with acrylic yarn, but hopefully it will. Maybe I'll just put it down for a while and work on some newborn socks or something (thanks to whoever posted the adorable picture of those earlier today! :D )

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Tabby

What weight of yarn are you using, when you say "soft baby yarn"?

Did you crochet a gauge swatch? (Swatches are pretty important, despite the groaning. The certainty that, since you're using the right yarn and right hook, you MUST be getting the right gauge? Ignore it. Make the swatch.)

Try the pattern both ways, and see which one looks best to you. If it looks better without the dc, do it that way. I've always felt patterns are more like guidelines, anyway. :yarn

Archived