How big before felting?

dsabol

Question

I wanted to try to "wing it" and make a case for my digital camera, myself. I thought it would be nice if it was felted. (I carry my camera in my purse at all times and I want something sturdy)

So, I'm wondering how big it should be BEFORE felting so it's the right size after felting. And, will it stretch after felting, like if it's snug, will I still be able to squeeze the camera into it?

My camera is 4" long X 2.5" tall X 2" thick

I'm thinking maybe something with a flap I can button down, or have a loop that goes over a button, or velcro....?

I was thinking about doing one long rectangle and making sides separately and stitching them on....

3 answers to this question

I am going to say the nasty s word, yes make a swatch and felt it! the swatch will be able to tell you how much the yarn you are using will felt and with a before and after measurement you should be able to figure it out easily. My last felted item was a purse that I made out of Patons merino yarn. That was my first time using that yarn, and I loved the results so much I went out and bought many more skeins. I normally use brown sheep lamb's pride this felts into a nice fuzzy looking material (85% wool 15% mohair). Still love it and will still use it, but for those items you dont' want to fuzz I think Pattons merion yarn is the best.

What I would do is to make a tube piece with one end starting at a point and increasing until its the width of your flap, and then crocheting in the round to make the tube. At the other end, once I get to the length I would figure out how many stitches it will need to make the bottom flap and then go back and forth in rows sew the bottom up to make the bottem seam and then felt it. with felting check all the time to make sure it doesn't felt too much you can stop the felting process once it gets to the size you want it. Depending on how felted the item it, you may or may not get it to stretch. When I felt the heck out of stuff they will not stretch I can cut into it and it doesn't unravel.

:eek

You said the "s" word!! :lol

Oh, I hate to make swatches (*whine*) I guess it's the best way, though.

Thanks for the post, it was very informative. I like your idea about how to make it, too. It sounds easier than mine.

I'll give it a shot. I was actually thinking I might try the new SWS yarn Patons has. It's still natural wool and there were samples of it felted at Michaels. I LOVE the colors it comes in.

Thanks! :hug

Dsabol - I usually use either the Patons merino classic wool or the Cascade 220 wool for felting. I find that when I felt something (and I, too, felt the heck out of it), it usually shrinks by about 1/3 the size. I use a single strand of yarn and half double crochet stitches. But, as Christina said - you may want to swatch first!

Archived