I need an Opinion

I am thinking about making a large granny square afgan for my sister for xmas she wants it in purple. I'm going to find a nice varagated purple, but my question is about the pattern Can I use just the regular old granny square pattern? I like the pattern and it is easy and quick so I think if I used that I could get the gahn done rather quick, and if that isn't the pattern to use could someone point me in the direction of a good one?

Thanks in advance

You could do a regular granny square, or you can do a rectangular granny square. (I have a pattern on my blog for one) http://iamtotallyobsessedwithyarn.blogspot.com/2006/01/granny-square-pattern-with-pictures.html

Giant granny squares are one of my favorite patterns to use up scrap yarn with.

I would recommmend the rectangular granny just because it looks more like an afghan you planned as opposed to a granny square in identity crisis.

This giant granny can be very beautiful with the colours making a real stand.

One thing that I do differently - we all do this when we figure out how a granny could go rectangular - is that I only put (3dc,ch1, 3dc, ch 1, 3dc) into the first "full round" corners.

I noticed that yours has (3dc,ch1, 3dc, ch 1, 3dc, ch 1, 3dc) I don't suppose it makes a great difference by the end of the 'ghan.

http://www.christinascrochethaven.com/my_favorite_granny_square.htm

I have a square that I do. Here's the link.

I've made afghans out of it. It's fast but looks very elegant.

Just a little different...

The afghan in the picture got 2nd place at the fair.

I've made five granny square blankets (four were gifts, the first one I kept) - just a plain granny square continued for about 45-50 rounds with a nice border around.

They were all very well received and I find the simplicity of the pattern allows for a lot of great colour combinations...using solid and variegated yarns make it look a bit more exciting :)

I posted about one here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32603

-- Michelle

Here's a pict. of Erins granny made up!!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29482

Super easy,her pictures help a bunch for an easy start:D

Used an "I" hook with this and thought it was kinda loose,,,maybe it was just the granny holes and I thought the camo yarn was extra thin. Pesky Red Heart.

Have fun getting your project started,,can't wait to see it!!

BTW,,the new couple loved this granny;)

I would recommmend the rectangular granny just because it looks more like an afghan you planned as opposed to a granny square in identity crisis.
:haha:laughroll

That's what I'm gonna call my giant-granny-square afghan! "Here's my granny square in identity crisis.....isn't she cute?"

But, yeah, I'd vote for the rectangle too as a gift. I love both, but when I sit in my recliner I like an afghan that covers my legs and toes in the winter. I don't need so much on the sides. I'm sure either will be appreciated :)

In re: to darski do you think that the corners would maybe lay a little bit flatter doing it the way Erin did hers? I got that far know Iam debating on what way to proceed with the corners :confused

I am a tight crocheter but I am using a size J hook maybe that will help me!? Thanks for the help this is such a great sight Iam glad my sister got me hooked into it ;wink

Here's a pict. of Erins granny made up!!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29482

Super easy,her pictures help a bunch for an easy start:D

Used an "I" hook with this and thought it was kinda loose,,,maybe it was just the granny holes and I thought the camo yarn was extra thin. Pesky Red Heart.

Have fun getting your project started,,can't wait to see it!!

BTW,,the new couple loved this granny;)

I think an "I" hook works the best with my rectangle granny, but I've used just about every size of hook with this pattern. I did one in thread about 10yrs ago for a relative. (just for a table top doily)

I love the colors of that afghan you did. I'm so tempted to run to the yarn store and get the same colors to do one myself.

Erin,

I have to tell you I LOVE your pattern. I'm already like 6 rows into it and it looks great I'll take a picture later when my b/f isn't bugging me to get online. I think this is going to become one of my favorite afghan patterns, quick, simple and beautiful...what more can one ask for.

Archived