Favorite yarn for sweaters?

Hi, everyone. I have been thinking that I would like to try to make myself a sweater sometime soonish, and I am wondering what yarn would be the best?

Is worsted weight too thick? What has the best drape? I have never made a wearable for myself before so I could use some suggestions.

Also, what kind of fiber do you think is best? A wool blend? A cotton blend? I need something not itchy as my skin is sensitive.

Thanks,

Nicole

Seeing as you live in the midwest where it gets pretty chilly....

I've seen some really wonderful sweaters made with Carons Simply Soft.

That is definitely a yarn I have access to---thanks!

Any other suggestions? I am worried that a 100% acrylic yarn might not breathe very well and be really hot.

Thanks again,

Nicole

Where I lived it stays more mild and if you add hot flashes to that....well for me I like cottons alot and I also love Lions microspun. Recently I bought some raw silk that is very yummy and it would make for a nice lighter sweater that I could layer something else under it.

The acrylic should do well if it's something that's more lacy and open weave.

well for the warmer weather (montrealer-former minneapolite) the worsted weight is nice and warm. my favorite yarn for sweaters is redheart plush or tlc amore (same company same yarn) or the walmart mainstays version of it (never used it but it looks the same) i do a pattern that is a little bit open, like rows of sc *ch1 sc* repeat across and do the ame on the next row so the ch1 gaps line up and leave a little airflow, and with the plush/amore you dont notice it since it is a mindly fluffy yarn. just my :2c

It definitely get scold where I live in the winter. If it helps, I am thinking of making an aran type sweater (like the one in the new FCEC) or maybe Cuddlefish's sweater or maybe the sweater template from Crochetme's latest issue.

Does anyone have suggestions/preferences for yarns with natural fibers?

Nicole

Okay, I'm going to sound like a broken record, here, but last year I crocheted myself top-down sweater, using Lion Brand Wool-ease Chunky yarn. It's one of my warmest sweaters! I have a ton of leftover yarn from the afghan I just crocheted for a Christmas present, so I'm thinking of a repeat this year, only this time with multiple stripes, from all the leftover stash...

You know Pam you've talked about that yarn so much I was looking at it today. I think it might just work for a couple of clothing projects I have in mind. It's a good thing you kept talking about it because I would never have thought about it but now it's on my list of yarns to try.

Do you have any fun stitches for it or do you just use the normal big 3...sc, hdc, or dc?

Okay, I'm going to sound like a broken record, here, but last year I crocheted myself top-down sweater, using Lion Brand Wool-ease Chunky yarn. It's one of my warmest sweaters! I have a ton of leftover yarn from the afghan I just crocheted for a Christmas present, so I'm thinking of a repeat this year, only this time with multiple stripes, from all the leftover stash...

I was actually wondering about LB Woolease worsted weight yarn. Do you find the Chunky soft enough for next to the skin wear? Does it wear well--pilling, etc? Do you like the drape?

I would probably use the worsted weight if I use the woolease, but I appreciate your opinion!

Nicole

Well, the weird thing is that different colors for Wool-ease Chunky are softer than others. For instance, Bay Harbor feels like brillo, but Orchid is soft...Generally, I wear a shirt under a sweater, so it doesn't really matter to me. When I've used it, I generally just use a dc or a hdc. When I used it for an afghan, I used a few of the square patterns from the 63 Square crochet-along that would work with this yarn. The seed stitch works well, too...

Archived