Fringe and label questions

tinkerpuppet

Question

I have finished a poncho for my best friends 9yo daughter. I love it and am really happy with how it came out. However I have two questions before I wrap it up and send it to her.

Around the bottom edge of the poncho is fringe. When I started cutting the yarn for fringe, it was from the centre of the skein and looks 'wrinkley' (as it was all twisted inside the skein). But as you go around the edge, it gets less and less wrinkley and more straight (as I got further into the skein). Its very noticeable. I don't want to wash it as I don't want to lose that 'brand new' look, but what can I do to straighten out the fringe? Would putting it in the dryer for a short time work?

Also, does anyone ever put labels in their gifts (ie: "Made with love" or "Crocheted just for you")? Where would I find such a thing and how would I attach it? The poncho is all one colour, but does actually have a front/back/sides. Really it wouldn't make much difference how she wears it, but I thought it might be a nice touch.

Once I figure out these two things, I'll definatly be posting pics in the Babies/Childrens section!

3 answers to this question

Jennifer we can buy those pre-printed fabric labels at Spotlight, so your Joanns or Michaels sound like a good place to start (never even been to USA so no idea if they do or don't). Another thing you could do to make the front more obvious it put a ribbon/applique/motif/flower or some such on the front.

As for the wrinkles.. Try hanging it in a steamy bathroom, or iron it with a towel on top. Maybe even just let it hang from a coat hanger for a wile and see if gravity will do it alone. Again... never tried any of this personally, just telling you what I would try if :)

I was going to suggest the steamy bathroom too. It works great for other clothes when you don't have time or energy to iron. Hang it up and take a nice hot shower and ta-da - wrinkle free clothes.

Or you could spritz the fringe with water, not so it's soaking but still pretty wet, then smooth it with your hands.

Archived