Cats and Homespun

So, I have two cats. The cats are cool with their mom's strange obsession with sticks and hooks and long lengths of yarn. They've even been known to sit and watch me work with these strange implements, much like one would watch a tv show or a movie. And for the most part they leave me to work in peace.

BUT ...

Let me bring out the two Homespun projects (afghan and poncho) I'm working on, and suddenly I'm a cat magnet. They must come up onto the project and sniff, knead and generally smurgle, usually in almost the exact spot where I am trying to work. They will even try to do this at the same time (and let me tell you about these cats not getting along another time).

This doesn't happen with any other projects, and I find it quite hillarious that they've taken a shine to this particular yarn.

Anyone else have cats, and do they seem to have a preference for yarns? Just curious, like my cats. :)

PS - If this is in the wrong forum, please let me apologize now, tell me where to put it and I will make sure it gets there.

I made my mom and dad a homespun afghan for Christmas last year, and their cats *love* it, but they don't have the choice of another afghan made from a different yarn, so I don't know if their specific preference is the homespun or not.

I do know that their dog loves it too. They've gone outside to work and come in and found that the dog had dragged the afghan from the living room all the way to the laundry room where he sleeps. I made him his own afghan out of Woolease Thick 'n Quick, but I think he still does it occasionally, even though he loves his afghan, too.

Nicole

One of our cats is completely insane for Homespun. It's like catnip to her. She's a fairly dignified cat, friendly enough but not snuggly, smashes her head against you and purrs a little bit when you pet her but generally somewhat aloof. However, you put her on a Homespun blanket and she's in drugged-out bliss, kneading and sucking and purring so loud you can hear her across the room. My son keeps a Homespun blanket on his bed so she'll keep him company while he goes to sleep, and doesn't seem to mind that he's sleeping under a mountain of cat spit.

For her, it's only Homespun...she doesn't even like Lion Brand Boucle, which to me is almost indistinguishable to the touch. Here she is as a baby sleeping on one of the Homespun blankets. (Sorry, but we just loves our kitties. I keep fosters for a rescue group but am sufficiently soft-hearted that I've kept two out of the three that we've fostered. But no more. Our permanent cat slots are completely filled up. Also, the director of the rescue group is only letting me foster cats who are already adopted but who are waiting for neutering and reference checks, so there's no chance that I'll try to keep them for myself.)

The other cats couldn't care less about yarn except to tear it to shreds indiscriminately.

Glad to know that we're not alone with our yarn-fetishist kitty.

--Elissa

My furbabies rarely get involved with my yarn, but when they do, softer is better. Trixie loves to "scritch" anything soft. I don't think it helped my case at all that I made them the royal petghan from the pattern on the lb site. I'm contributing to the delinquency of my kitties! :cat

Archived