What is a running stitch?

I'm a fairly new crocheter but I have the basics down. I'm making a cap and the directions are as follows:

Ch 69.

ROW 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook and in each st across. Ch 3. Turn.

ROWS 2-25: Dc in 2nd st from hook across to end of row. Ch 3. Turn.

Sew sides together. For top - make a running st through the last row of dc, pulling tightly as you go. If this still leaves a small opening at the top, sew across top of hat.

So basically making a rectangle and sewing together sides and top. But what is a running stitch? And what's the best way to sew the sides together?

Thanks!

Laurie

That's what you might think of as "regular" sewing--in, out, in, out. You should be able to pull on the end to gather the top of your hat.

As for sewing the sides together--there are several different ways to do it, but after a lot of experimentation, I've come to prefer slip-stitching things together whenever possible. It's simple and very strong.

As for sewing the sides together--there are several different ways to do it, but after a lot of experimentation, I've come to prefer slip-stitching things together whenever possible. It's simple and very strong.

ditto that! i almost always slip st everything that i can together, it is so much faster than actually sewing it with a blunt needle

Archived