What is the right Yarn for Knitting Socks?

Hi there to all those of you here that knit as well as crochet:

I need help with finding the right size yarns for knitting and crocheting socks that can be worn with shoes. I have gone to the Socks section of this forum but can't really find help..

I only have walmart here to shop ..Do they sell any yarns i can buy for this purpose if so which kind?

What gauge is it to be.. Is it fingering yarns or sports yarns? Can i use any of the two?

Also what is a good place to buy yarns for this project even if it don't say Sox yarns...

Help..... Please......

mamaoso sent you exactly where I was thinking. knitpicks usually has a very good selection (at reasonable prices-with friendly service) of sock yarns. I have also used some of my sock yarn to knit wonderful fingerless gloves-warm and stylish without the bulk.

I much prefer using natural fibers to knit or crochet socks, such as wool, cotton, or blends using the two. My Wal-Mart just doesn't carry anything that meets my needs for making socks.

I agree with the others that KnitPicks has some good sock yarn. Patternworks also has a good selection. There is even a store that is semi-local to me (about 45-60 minutes drive to the other end of the county, depending on traffic), that carries a lot of sock yarn: The Knitting Zone. Of those 3, Knitpicks seems to have the least expensive prices.

You can order over the internet from all these places. If you don't have/want to use a credit card, you could purchase a reloadable Visa or MasterCard gift card. Those can be online wherever a store accepts credit card purchases.

Elann.com also has some very good buys. I picked up some yummy Peruvian Baby Cashmere and Peruvian Baby Silk that is so soft. I can't wait to get started on these - and they're for ME!

Ohhh my dear friends thank so ever much for your answers I will go ahead and check all these sites out...

You all are the best of the best...

Now are there any crochet sock patterns free on line that you ladies know of as well...

I fugure i might as well give them a try too...but i only crochet.

Archived