Pattern sizing Help

MOBOGAL

Question

Hi :)

I am hoping to embark on a new pattern soon...it is a pullover sweater done in 100% Wool yarn (worsted weight). The sizing for the bust/waist for the small is 33"/29" and the medium is 36"/32.5. I am a 34"/29". My question is...what is the give of wool yarn? I have never worked with wool before, and I don't know which size to choose...I am afraid the 36" will be too much ease. The pullover appears relatively fitted in the picture and I'd hate for it to be too big. Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice? The sizing part of garment making is still the scariest part for me :eek .

1 answer to this question

Hi Mobogal

First, is the measurement given in the pattern the finished size, or the "to fit" size (i.e. with ease already added)?

Wool does have "give" and if the 33in is the finished size, I'm sure it will fit you at 34in, but it will be very snug.

The amount of ease to allow depends really on how you want to wear it and how fitted you like your clothes. If you're going to be wearing the pullover on its own, you may want it skin-tight. On the other hand you might prefer a little breathing room :), especially if you're going to be wearing the sweater over a shirt or cami. I'd say the best thing to do is find a favourite sweater that fits the way you'd like this one to fit, then measure that to find the best size to make.

Good luck with it!

Archived