Tips and Tricks

Hello! I was thinking that it would be cool and very helpful for everyone to share things that make crochet easier for them or any kind of knowledge that may help someone along the way, kinda like Lion Brand did in their newsletter a while back. I believe in "never stop learning" and I'm sure a lot of new hookers would appreciate the info. My tips are kinda goofy, but it just might help someone! :cheer:hug

**I store my :yarn in the XL Zipper bags - they're cheap, see-through, and easy to slip in the closet.

**I :manyheart stitchmarkers! I always take the one I use to mark where I've left off and clip it to my wedding rings when I start working again. I can't tell you how many I lost before starting this practice!

So, I know mine aren't the greatest, but the 'ville is full of brilliant crafty women. Please share your knowledge with us!!!:ty:heart:nworthy

My best tip is for making Grannies or granny-like squares. You get better corners (and joins) if you begin with a chain 5 and 3 dc into the same corner space. You work your way around the square and finish with 2dcs in the beginning corner and join w/ a slst into the 3rd chain of chain 5.

Most squares can be adjusted to this technique once you get used to the pattern.

I have a few that I can share:

When working in dc rounds, I chain 2 at the beginning of the round, then dc in that same joining stitch. When I finish the round I slip stitch into the dc I did, not the chain. This helps minimize that empty space you get from the chain not being a thick as the dc stitch. I do the same thing with hdc, but I only chain 1.

When working on slipper or a hat where you are working sideways and need to gather one of the ends up, I always do a sc or hdc (one stitch smaller) in the last stitch on the end that I will be gathering. I find that it's easier to gather and the end isn't nearly as bulky.

Bobbi pins (or is it Bobby?????) make great stitch markers and are alot cheaper than split rings.

Kathy

That's a fabulous idea! I've always hated that space at the end of rounds and didn't know how to remedy it. Thanks a ton ksknits!:yay

I find the thing that helps me the most is to keep a complete set of everything I need in each WIP bag -- scissors, measuring tape, stitch markers, hook needed, etc. That way, I'm not rooting around in multiple WIP bags, frantically trying to find what I need. Also, it makes it very easy to just pick up the WIP and take it somewhere to work on.

Bobby pins are also great for marking your place in a pattern. Of course, you'll need some way to keep track of rows to be repeated, but it's sure reassuring when picking up the WIP! Highlighters also work, but using the pattern more than once makes that a bit tricky.

I like to make notes on my patterns, especially ones I've done more than once (because I likely changed something the second time 'round), so I try to keep a pencil in the project bag -> into which I pop individual WIP bags which already have the hook and pattern.

================

Tracie

I've got one on my own: I keep a crochet diary where I write about the projects, little tips and tricks that I get from other people and I even have a wishlist!

There's never enough Tips & Tricks in a crocheters life, so thanks for sharing! :hook

I have a few tricks:

I use little girls' bendy barrettes as stitch markers - they NEVER fall off. (I have 2 girls, so this was an accident)

I never liked just "working over" my yarn end, was afraid it would work its way out. Now I take the end and twist it through and around the back loop only of the next 3 or 4 stitches, then work over it for a few more. It doesn't show!

I break down each of my projects into "doable" work goals for a day and then put them in my Computer's task list by day "due". That way I know I'm on track for a specific deadline. (And if I can do more than one thing! LOL!)

I have a business satchel bag that has zippers, pouches and pen holders on the front, with a flap that clips over it all. It's great for all my stuff - hooks, measuring tape, pattern in the flap, etc. Better than ANY yarn bag, and very portable.

ALL of my WIPs have their own canvas or tote bag with everything in it - that way I can just pick up and go. I use nail trimmers (very cheap) in each bag instead of scissors.

OK, back to work! :D

Highlighters also work, but using the pattern more than once makes that a bit tricky.

I like to make notes on my patterns, especially ones I've done more than once (because I likely changed something the second time 'round), so I try to keep a pencil in the project bag -> into which I pop individual WIP bags which already have the hook and pattern.

================

Tracie

I like to put the pattern in a sheet protector and than keep my place with a dry erase marker. I can make notes and keep track of my progress on the page protector without writing on the pattern printout, and anything that I need for the next time can later get written onto the pattern. :)

Great tips! Thanks, everyone!

Great ideas here. Here are a couple not listed, even though they are not original.

I always make a photocopy of the pattern I am using, especially if it is in a book. It is much more portable, and if it gets all scrunched up it is okay. It keeps the original in good shape. Otherwise, if I make it two or three times the pattern is falling apart.

Someone else posted an idea recently that I love and have just started doing. I have beads with numbers and letters on them so that I can pin on the hook size I am using onto the project. Sometimes I borrow hooks from other projects or just plain lose them. Once I goofed on which hook I was using, as the pattern hook size was too tight for me and I was using a larger size than the pattern stated. The afghan suddenly got narrower in the middle. By the time I realized it, I was not willing to rip out that much and kept it that way. No one else seemed to notice but I knew and it drove me nuts. If you use more than one brand of hooks, make sure you use the mm size and not just the letter.

Some people weave in the loose ends with their hook, but I find that it is more secure if you use a sharp yarn needle. Because it is sharp, it splits the projects yarn as you are weaving in the end, and that makes it much harder to rip out. I go at least an inch, usually two, in one direction and back an inch where it just was before trimming. That way the stretch of the project doesn't pop out the end tips.

My tip is about supply/hook cases for all of your crochet tools...

I've re-purposed a binder-sized make-up case for all of my stuff! It's got 3 "pages" made up of zippered, fine-mesh pockets in the middle which hold needles, stitich markers, tape measure, pom-pom maker, scissors etc. The "pages" snap in & out of the binder so I can take just a section of it along if I'm crocheting on the road. The best part is the side where make-up brushes are supposed to go... the sleeves for the brushes hold 1-3 hooks each (depending on the size of the hooks) and a plastic flap folds over them so they don't slip out. The entire binder zips shut so that everything is kept safe! And it was free because it was one of those "gift w/purchase" things ;)

Oh, and another thing I do is to keep my pile of crochet magazines down to a managable size is to go through them about once a month for the sole purpose of cutting out the patterns & articles I KNOW I want to keep. I put them into plastic page protectors & store them in a 3-ring binder. Then I throw (gasp!) the rest of the magazine away. I do the same thing with pattern I've printed off of the internet.

Magnifying glasses improved my crocheting and made it much easier.

Sitting so that nothing is near my arms.

Good! lighting.

Keeping crochet supplies in the car prevents the mad dash to the LYS when no crochet supplies are at hand.

I use ordinary safety pins for stitch markers.

I write on a slip of paper the following: hook size, stitch pattern, and row # if needed, and attach it with the stitch marker.

Metal eyeglass cases (the tube kind) make good hook cases, easily tucked into a handbag.

When starting something new, it really saves a lot of frustration to do a practice swatch to get used to a new yarn or stitch pattern. Otherwise the beginning of the project has that used-for-practice look.

My tip is for anyone who is using the pellet filling for any toys or whatever...

First, if you can (like for a ball), turn an old stocking into a liner to encase the pellets..tie a knot at the bottom, I dab on a little fray check to ensure it won't slip out, then turn it inside out (prevents a bump at the bottom of the toy), fill with pellets and tie the top...repeat the fray check and trim the stocking so that it will fit inside once the toy is finished.

Second, use a sandwich sized ziplock baggie to fill the toy....make a very tiny cut off one corner and it works better than a funnel!! And it's SO much easier that trying to aim the whole bag of pellets!!!

Jessie

Pencil pouches or those free cosmetic bags that you get with a purchase of makeup are great to keep your hooks, scissors, etc. in for a traveling crochet bag.

Large diaper bags are great for lugging around several projects. They usually have many pockets to keep supplies in.

I always photocopy the pattern and then put it in a plastic sheet protector. If it is something I will use many times, I get the sheet laminated. It costs less than a dollar, and it keeps your pattern safe forever.

Always have a project in the car. You never know when you will get a few minutes to get the hook out and work. Doctors appointments, swim meets, basketball games, etc. are all places that a little crochet can really help.

For an edging on a blanket, I usually try several before I am happy. Don't be afraid to experiment and find something that isn't on the pattern.

Have fun with your crochet. Try new yarns. Try a pattern that you think is cute. Give many things away, especially to a good charity.

:manyheart

Archived