felting help

carrie_dyer

Question

I made a hat out of wool to try felting. I followed the direction on Lion brand which was to wash in warm water with my laundry and a cold water rinse and then let it air dry. I did this and it didn't work. any other suggestions. I am just trying to give a hat I made a different look then all the others.

Carrie

4 answers to this question

Regular laundry detergent doesn't change the ph of the water enough to affect the wool. You might want to try laundry soap flakes or baking soda (my favorite). Wash in really hot water on the longest agitation (or even reset the agitation cycle back to the beginning before the water drains out). It also helps to have some heavy items in the wash to cause more agitation and friction. The combination of hot water, changed ph and friction from the agitation is what makes the wool felt. (If you're felting a number of items at one time, or larger items, you might want to put them in a zippered pillow case so that the lint doesn't clog up your washer.)

Are you sure the yarn was wool, and not some sort of synthetic? If not, it won't felt. Some wools have been treated so they won't felt... usually called superwash. I always check the laundering directions on the wrapper. If it says to handwash in cool water, and not to machine wash, that's a good clue that it will felt. But, if it says it is machine washable/dryable... it probably won't.

Some wool just needs to be run through the washer several times before it will truly felt.

Good luck!

Joan

Archived